Which qualification, which country?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

NomadicBoo

Which qualification, which country?

Unread post by NomadicBoo »

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so please go easy on me should I break any forum rules!

Basically, I'm looking for some advice on which qualification I need to go for. The options both in terms of the actual qualification itself and the depth with which you need to study it are fairly overwhelming and likewise, I don't want to spend money on something that's of no immediate use or to go for a really advanced qualification when a standard or entry level one will suffice.

In terms of my own situation, I am a 28 year old BA graduate in Business Management with 5 years professional experience. I've travelled fairly extensively (India and all of SE Asia, NZ, Oz, lived and worked throughout Europe). After a recent serious illness I'm questioning whether my 9-5 office life is what I want and I'm gearing up to hit the road once again and I see teaching English as a great way to make it a permanent thing.

In terms of countries, I don't really have an interest in South America, so would really like a qualification that had relevance in India, China and the rest of Asia.

Any thoughts, advice and opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

James
JimmyChina

Re: Which qualification, which country?

Unread post by JimmyChina »

Dear James

This is Heather, the consultant in JimmyChina, of which is a professional agency aimed to find foreign candidates English teaching positions in China.

From my nearlly 5 years experiences of assisting foreign candidates to get an ideal teaching position in China, TEFL/TESOL certificates helps you a lot for teaching in Asia. Normally, to obtain a TEFL/TESOL certificate(120 hours on line) is acceptable by schools in Asia.

Best regards

Heather
Last edited by Susan on 21 Jul 2011, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove link