Please help ^^ Tefl course advice needed

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

kisaeng

Please help ^^ Tefl course advice needed

Unread post by kisaeng »

Hi guys,
I'm looking at doing a tefl course so i can travel to south korea and teach english. I'll be leaving next year after i graduate from university.
I wanted any advice any of you can give me on who i should do my tefl course with. I've heard bad reviews about i-to-i tefl, and i wondered if there's anywhere else people can suggest for me?
Thanks loads!!!!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Please help ^^ Tefl course advice needed

Unread post by Alex Case »

Few jobs in Korea demand a TEFL certificate (and you only need a degree from an English speaking country for the visa), but you can often get a pay rise for having one, will be able to better compete for the (few) better jobs, and of course will be able to do your job better. For the pay rise, there are differing stories on how well online and short courses are accepted by organisations such as EPIK and SMOE, but any 100 hour TEFL course with 6 hours of observed teaching is what schools are usually looking for. Cambridge CELTA doesn't have as much recognition as in places like Europe, but is still probably the best choice if you think you will teach for more than a year or two and/ or move on to other countries afterwards.
kisaeng

Re: Please help ^^ Tefl course advice needed

Unread post by kisaeng »

Thats a lot of help thanks, i think i'm now going to look into the courses that are online but have weekend or week day courses too so i can have a chance to be observed.
My mum is a teacher and i'm very familiar with teaching, planning and all the things that come with being a teacher, so i'm hoping that too will work in my favour.