Advice on teacher training/TEFL??

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

trapjaw

Advice on teacher training/TEFL??

Unread post by trapjaw »

Hi I have been thinking of doing a tefl course and teaching abroad now for a while. The only thing holding me back is the fact I want to be a teacher here in the uk.

I recently didn't get accepted to my teacher training here but I'm not sure if the experience I'd gain doing tefl jobs would be benefit to any future applications for teaching in uk. Plus I don't know if I will be too old for this training? I am 24 now (getting old!).

There are so many different courses available each one a diff price what course is the best value for money?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Advice on teacher training/TEFL??

Unread post by Alex Case »

Why did your application fail?

Although it can't hurt to have some classroom experience, having TEFL experience is less useful than you might think when applying to train to be a school teacher back in the UK. For example, it doesn't count as equivalent to volunteering as an assistant teacher when applying to be a primary school teacher, even if you have been teaching that age abroad.

As you might end up having to do TEFL in the UK when you first go back, you should definitely choose Trinity CertTESOL or Cambridge CELTA. It doesn't matter too much which centre you choose as long as it is one of those qualifications.
trapjaw

Re: Advice on teacher training/TEFL??

Unread post by trapjaw »

Thank you. I have found a CELTA course that is very local but they have informed me that the CELTA course does not qualify me to teach children, only adults. Is there another course which enables both? or will schools still accept this?

My applicaton failed because i didnt have enough classroom experience (which is a reason i would like to do tefl)

My only major concern was that i would be too old for a GTP or similar teacher training when i returned from my travels. ideally i wanted to get qualified before i travelled, although i dont wanna travel too late. trying to get the best for both situations really both career and travels. Anyone else been in similar situation???