Teaching in Indonesia??

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Kerrygraham

Teaching in Indonesia??

Unread post by Kerrygraham »

Hiya,

I am new to this and would like any advice that anyone can offer!

I am planning on going to Indonesia because I went there a couple of years ago traveling for a very short time. I loved it and would love to go back for much longer. I love working with kids and so thought teaching English could be a good option. I have a degree.

My first question is what TEFL course to do. I was looking at the 120 hour I-to-I course, it appealed to me but so did many others. I was wondering if they were all much the same standard or if there are any that have a better reputation etc. Also, I was wanting to do the 120 hour course. I noticed there are shorter courses, are they really a waste of time since you learn less or are the shorter courses still good?

I was also wondering is it best to find a job before I go or is it best to get to Indonesia and find a job when I am there? I would probably prefer to have a position before I go but if it is much better once I am there then I am also happy to wait.

Thanks so much in advance for ANY advice!

Thanks again,
Kerry
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching in Indonesia

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

In general you'll need a degree (although there are still possibilities if you do not have this) and a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate to get a visa and work.

The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house at a local school for 4 weeks or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option. For an entry level job in Indonesia, it's much of a muchness which one you take.

If you are intending to find work when you are there, the best time of year to go is September/October when the academic year starts and schools are looking for teachers.
Last edited by systematic on 11 Apr 2010, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rm link.
priya

Unread post by priya »

the best time of year to go is September/October when the academic year starts and schools are looking for teachers.
Nelia

Unread post by Nelia »

There are a lot of teaching opportunities at private language schools. Just look on the job boards online, and you will be sure to find jobs advertised.
Last edited by systematic on 21 May 2010, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed possible job ad.
cirsurfce

Re: Teaching in Indonesia??

Unread post by cirsurfce »

Hah I had just asked the same question basically..

Did you find a good course to take? I want to get that done as soon as possible myself..
NMonks

Re: Teaching in Indonesia??

Unread post by NMonks »

I highly recommend you DO NOT take an I to I TEFL course. If you decide to make a career out of teaching English it would be a waste of paper. Even amongst the online certificates I to I ones are, in my experience, considered poorly to anyone other than a 1 year backpacking teacher. I would highly recommend spending a bit more money/time and doing an actual real life course. Something like a CELTA can be done for $1600 and is recognized and accepted every where in the world. It is a 1 month intensive training course and is extremely highly regarded.