Handy book/CD for Young Learners ideas??

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

vendeene

Handy book/CD for Young Learners ideas??

Unread post by vendeene »

I have considerable experience teaching adults but very little with children. I have been asked to give English lessons to a 9 year old girl. The idea is to do something in a very communicative way that is fun. I do fun things for adults, but I'd like to find a handy book that would give me one or two ideas on where to start and also give her something to keep at home with a CD-ROM maybe ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Young learners

Unread post by Alex Case »

Do you mean you want a textbook recommendation for a nine year old? What level is the student? Can you browse any options at a local bookshop?
vendeene

Re: Handy book/CD for Young Learners ideas??

Unread post by vendeene »

Yes. I would like a textbook with audio CD or CD-ROM that we can use together and that she could refer to outside lessons to and help her with comprehension and pronunciation. She is 9 and has a basic grasp of : talking about her family, likes and dislikes, numbers, colours and similar vocabulary. I'd like to help her progress in spoken English mostly as she already does some English at school (30 pupils in the class though !). I unfortunately don't have any local bookshops in my area and it's hard to get a good idea on the internet as you cannot always 'flick through' books.
Azariah

Re: Handy book/CD for Young Learners ideas??

Unread post by Azariah »

Hi,

I've been looking for a similar sort of book recently and I've come across this book on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Activities-prim ... 090&sr=1-1

I've bought this book from the Amazon website, where it is possible to look through some of the books, and it should arrive any day now. Unfortunately, it's not possible to look through this book but I'll let you know if it's any good! :-)

Alternatively, you could look through this book, Five-Minute Activities for Young Learners: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Minute-Act ... 090&sr=1-6#_

Good luck in your search :-)

Azariah