How to teach reading to pupils with Learning Disabilities?

For example, teaching blind or deaf learners

Moderator: Susan

audrey
Registered Member

How to teach reading to pupils with Learning Disabilities?

Unread postby audrey » 19 Mar 2013, 10:31

I am teaching pupils with learning disabilities. I find it very hard to get them to a stage where they can understand what they read. If I read to them out loud they will understand some of it, but when they have to read, they won't understand a thing. Has someone good tips what to do?

Susan
Admin

Re: How to teach reading to pupils with Learning Disabilitie

Unread postby Susan » 19 Mar 2013, 13:15

Hi,

you may get more replies if you specify what your students' needs are.

special needs covers a fairly large area!

Susan

kipjmejia
Registered Member

Re: How to teach reading to pupils with Learning Disabilities?

Unread postby kipjmejia » 30 Dec 2015, 11:27

As a teacher, when I read the article I took it to mean, that teachers should teach with more diversity. We should think of each student when we are planning. When teachers teach to the middle, more students slip through the cracks. An equal education experience doesn’t mean the exact same thing. It means fair. Sometimes being fair is applying a different application for each child. It is a difficult thing to do, but with time it becomes more important. All students are expected to achieve high standards but we all may take a different road to get there. Teachers need to be aware of those differences each child brings into their classroom. Sometimes that means getting to know your students like you never have before. I have had to learn that lesson the hard way. I regret my first year’s of teaching in a lot of ways. But I tried with what I knew. Now I try to make time to learn my students so I can tailor their learning experience in my classroom.

Return to “Special Needs”