Ideas of textbooks to use in Ghana?

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

MimiRoselle

Ideas of textbooks to use in Ghana?

Unread post by MimiRoselle »

Hi guys.

I'm heading to Ghana to do some teaching in the next few months and although they have their own textbooks I would really like to take my own to teach from. I will be teaching primary school and I reckon their English is going to be quite low level as it's in the middle of no where!
Does anyone have any good recommendations of text books I could take? I'll probably take a few levels and age ranges. I'm fairly new to teaching so am not very wised up on what books to use.

Thanks, Mimi.
Lapalmita

Re: Ideas of textbooks to use in Ghana?

Unread post by Lapalmita »

Hi Mimi,

I was using the Get Set Go series for a while. It is not the best textbook, but all text books have their limitation, concerning flexibility, in my opinion. I really would prefer visual teaching aids for young students, as the kids also can think more abstract about new vocabulary.

Best wishes
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Hi Palmita

Thanks for your reply. Were you teaching in a similar situation to the one Mimi describes?

Thanks

Alex
Lapalmita

Unread post by Lapalmita »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post. Regarding your question, yes I did, mostly younger learners. I am teaching nearly 20 years, not only English, mostly engineering. As I am non-native, sometimes I battle to find the right resources for my students, so I dislike a to structured curriculum what you have to follow. So Mimi's idea is not to bad to look for some kind of guideline to carry with, but I hope she would not be to stuck to it.

Regards

Lapalmita