0-3 years

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

KayleighC

0-3 years

Unread post by KayleighC »

I have been offered a job in a trilingual school, I had a trial class with 3 year olds and it went really well. I then had two 15 minute classes with 0-1 years and 2 years. These classes didn't go so well as I have no experience on working with babies, the youngest I have taught is 3 years and I am comfortable with this. The nursery part is basically to act like a nursery nurse while I am there. I have the opportunity to go back and do the baby classes again, can anyone PLEASE help me on ideas of what I can do with both classes while I am there. I am desperate for this job as full time positions are impossible to find where I live!
Many Thanks
josef
Admin

Re: 0-3 years

Unread post by josef »

I hope that these English For Babies pages at EnglishClub may help.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: 0-3 years

Unread post by Alex Case »

Up to 18 months, all you can do is play with them in English. Don't expect to get them all doing the same thing, just have music playing all the time and a selection of books, flashcards and games out and go around interacting with them. Speak to them constantly. Try to get them to repeat, sing along, etc, but probably there will be zero response in English for at least the first couple of weeks. You'll need to understand and praise correct answers in L1 to your questions in English, so if you don't speak the students' L1 get a list of things they are likely to say and study that.