Extended state meaning

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

algyptalian

Extended state meaning

Unread post by algyptalian »

I recently did my language awareness assignment and submitted it, but the tutor gave it back to me saying i need to make some amendments to it. I've amended what needs to be, but there are a couple of things I'm unsure about.

The first sentence we have to analyse is:(the bold part is what we have to analyse)

1) She used to live in Scotland.

for the context i gave this scenario:
Emma lived in Scotland. She hated it. She hated the cold and damp weather in Scotland, so she decided to move. Now, she lives in Paris. She loves living there because it’s nice and sunny.

Then i gave the form:
Used to + bare infinitive.
Used to is a modal verb and it is used here with the bare infinitive to talk about past habits, thus used to live. [1]

And then i gave my three concept questions:
- Where did she live before? Scotland.
- Does she still live in Scotland? No.
- Does she live in Paris now? Yes

One of the comments my tutor made was (she drew and arrow pointing at the form) and said "consider the extended state meaning too" and then she pointed at the concept question and said "consider the extended state meaning of used to".

What i want to know is, what does she mean/ what is meant by the "extended state meaning", and what am i expected to write? I would have asked her, but she's gone on maternity leave and has said that her comments should be enough guidance for us, but I'm confused.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Extended state meaning

Unread post by Alex Case »

I think I know what she's talking about, but they haven't given you a very good example to illustrate it. Try instead to think about the (possible) difference between
"She played tennis"
and
"She used to play tennis"

Can I ask what course it is and what grammar book they suggest for reference?
kaithegreene
Rising Star

Re: Extended state meaning

Unread post by kaithegreene »

Did you ask your tutor? She might have been hoping you would get it from her suggestions, but still be willing to help out if you don't.
Good luck with the course.