Tense Examples

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

ColinR

Tense Examples

Unread post by ColinR »

Hey all,

Need some advice on the meanings and possibly an example the following questions:

Q1: "Future tense (be careful!)" - Not exactly sure what that be careful means. Originally thought something along the lines of: 'I will be going to the cinema tonight.' However this was until I see the 2nd question and then got confused.

Q2: "'going to' form (as a future)"

Q3: "present simple used as a future form"

Q4: "present continuous/progressive used as a future form"

Thank you in advance.
josef
Admin

Re: Tense Examples

Unread post by josef »

The "be careful!" may be a not-so-subtle reminder that technically there is no such thing as "future tense" in English (hence the reference to the "future forms" in Q2-4)...
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

Try this EnglishClub page on Future Time to clarify.
ColinR

Unread post by ColinR »

Thank you for your help, I think I have got it.

Q1: "Future tense (be careful!)" When we talk about something we plan to do but have not already made plans. EG: I think I will see her tomorrow.

Q2: "'going to' form (as a future)" When we have an intention to do something. EG: I am going to see her tomorrow.

Q3: "present simple used as a future form" For scheduled events. EG: The bus leaves at 06:00 tomorrow.

Q4: "present continuous/progressive used as a future form" Usually used when talking something happening in the present however we add a future word like tomorrow, tonight, August etc. EG: I am going to the cinema tonight.

I am a native English speaker and struggling, this stuff is not taught to you at school, you just kind of know it - It's so hard. Haha.
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

ColinR wrote:Q4: "present continuous/progressive used as a future form" Usually used when talking something happening in the present however we add a future word like tomorrow, tonight, August etc. EG: I am going to the cinema tonight.
I would avoid using "going to" in such examples as it gets confused with the form in Q2 (although that would really be "I am going to go to the cinema tonight"). You can easily use another verb - I am meeting him tomorrow. You might want to explain WHY we use it (eg existing plan).
ColinR wrote:I am a native English speaker and struggling, this stuff is not taught to you at school, you just kind of know it - It's so hard. Haha.
Dead right. No native English speaker in the street could answer this stuff, though of course they all use it perfectly all the time. Problem is, students will ask you about this incessantly.

Sorry if I don't answer your questions directly. We try not to "do homework" on this site, although you may find some other forum members to be more forthcoming :twisted: