Grammar is fun?

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Susan

Grammar is fun?

Unread postby samuel » 01 Mar 2011, 17:39

Hello everyone,

There are probably hundreds of ways to teach grammar and it is difficult to choose the one I want to use with my future students. In your opinion, what is the best way to learn grammar? Of course, I want to find a way to make it useful and fun. There has been too much talk about the dullness of grammar and it should not be the case. Grammar is important and it needs to be addressed in order to really improve. Especially for second language learners such as students I taught to during my practicums. So, do you guys know any good websites or have any good ideas as to relevant and fun techniques to teach grammar to second language learners??

Thank you

Samuel C.
samuel
Registered Member

Re: Grammar is fun?

Unread postby JEEPYY » 03 Mar 2011, 16:08

Grammar?? it's my favorite subject of English.

You probably had Patrick Duffley as a grammar teacher in your first year in the BEALS. What I would suggest you is to use the same kind of model. Instead of having students fill in the blanks, have them complete the context so it makes sense with the given grammatical form. Also, grammar should never take more than 1/4 of your curriculum. In my second practicum, my associated teacher told me that the best formula to teach grammar is to teach a grammatical feature for 15 to 20 minutes MAXIMUM! then, you move on to something else in which the said grammatical form in highly present, you have the student do an activity on the thing, but not on grammar.... after, when you correct and put together the answers of the activity, you raise their attention to the grammatical feature and capitalize on the usage and also how it corresponds to what you said at the beginning of the class. The following class, you recap in 5 minutes and you use the restof you 10 to 15 minutes to move on to something harder that can be built on what you learnt the previous class. Repeat rinse and voilà! :P I hope it has helped you.
JEEPYY
Registered Member

Re: Grammar is fun?

Unread postby xiphiasatsi » 02 May 2013, 09:25

Grammer has always been a fun to me.Its like playing with the words.I scored really well.
xiphiasatsi
Silver Member

Return to Grammar and Usage