English grammar and usage issues
Moderators: Alex Case, Susan
Can't work out the difference between:
(1) There are a lot of things to do here.
(2) There a lot of things to be done here.
Is it about modality? Possibility vs. necessity?
(3) This is a book to read.
(4) This is the book to be read.
Does (3) mean 'worth reading' and (4) 'that must be read'?
(5) This box is too heavy to lift.
Is it possible to say:
(6) This box is too heavy to be lifted?
- Silver Member
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 25 Mar 2008, 10:42
plz explain me infinitive forms(present infinitive ,continuous infinitive,perfect infinitive,perfect continuous infinitive,present passive infinitive and perfect passive infinitive)
also the complete use of would in sentences
- Registered Member
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 30 Jul 2008, 03:27
Return to Grammar and Usage
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests