Clarifying the difference between different grammar points

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

ManiB

Clarifying the difference between different grammar points

Unread post by ManiB »

Hello there,

I am in the process of getting my TEFL qualification and am totally stuck, as to how I should go about demonstrating the differences between, for example Present perfect vs Past simple. Can anybody help?? I want to make the lesson as interesting as possible so ideas on that front?

Thanks in advance!

Manisha :?
jasminade
Rising Star

Re: Clarifying the difference between different grammar poin

Unread post by jasminade »

ManiB wrote:Hello there,

I am in the process of getting my TEFL qualification and am totally stuck, as to how I should go about demonstrating the differences between, for example Present perfect vs Past simple. Can anybody help?? I want to make the lesson as interesting as possible so ideas on that front?

Thanks in advance!

Manisha :?
Try thinking about the use and reason for the auxilary verb in the present perfect tense: "to have", joined with the past "the past participle. Therefore, we use the present perfect when we wish to link an action (or state) in the past, to the present.

The past is over, finished, er, simple!

Also, the present perfect is emotional:

"She has broken my heart" - she broke my heart and I still feel bad now (therfore, the "present" perfect).

"She broke my heart but I am fine now."

Hope that helps a wee bit.
ManiB

Unread post by ManiB »

Thanks very much for your help.

Really appreciate it.

M :)
jasminade
Rising Star

Unread post by jasminade »

ManiB wrote:Thanks very much for your help.

Really appreciate it.

M :)
No problem. I just noticed that in the rush to give a reply I mispelt "auxiliary". Tut-tut. ;)