Looking for an IELTS teaching mentor

Use this forum to offer or request TEFL mentoring (helping each other to develop as teachers, teacher trainers, managers and writers).

Moderator: Susan

Looking for an IELTS teaching mentor

Unread postby ieltsteacher » 24 Apr 2009, 16:45

I'm looking for either a mentor who is experienced in IELTS teaching (better still if the person is an examiner) or just other IELTS teachers who would like to discuss IELTS teaching and learn from each other. I have a CELTA and have taught ESL for a year plus. I like teaching upper levels and have decided to specialize in IELTS teaching for various reasons - more marketable, you actually get the more motivated students, etc.

I tried to find books that would help me in my IELTS teaching (not activity books, but actual books for teachers of IELTS that would be beneficial to them) but I don't know of any - besides the course books, "IELTS secrets" books, etc. So if anyone is experienced in this area, that would be great.

I'm an extremely reflective teacher. I read a lot (and am relatively up-to-date with a lot of the latest practical and intellectual teaching "trends" in the industry) and ponder over a lot of things - teaching methods, etc. Spanish is my second and my experience as a Spanish intermediate level learner actually makes me think a lot about how/what I teach and how students learn English.

Overall, while I don't have a lot of experience, I am an extremely keen learner and desire to improve as a teacher and be the best I can for my students. And I'd love to have some good email discussions with either a mentor or other IELTS teachers so we can learn from each other.
ieltsteacher
Registered Member

Return to TEFL Mentoring