Qualifications in the UK

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Susan

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Jun 2006, 15:00
Location: UK

Qualifications in the UK

Unread postby GrahmHibbins » 02 Jun 2006, 15:12

I have completed a combined English/TESOL degree at Wolverhampton University with a Trinity Certificate. I have had some (but not much) experience teaching in China and Wolverhampton. I would like to work in the UK, either teaching adults in further education, or children.

I am finding it difficult to ascertain whether my qualifications are acceptable for these sorts of teaching posts. I have been told I will need a Level 4 ESOL Certificate, or at least be working towards it. Have I been given the right information?

Any (correct) information would be gratefully received.


Registered Member
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 21:02

Unread postby lali » 02 Jul 2006, 09:50

Hi Graham

If you intend teaching ESOL you have been given the right information, but that is not to say you won't be able to find a job with the qualifications and experience that you've got. Further education colleges normally require one to have a Level 4 ESOL subject specialist qualification or be working towards one, but you might still be able to find a job in a FE college with what you've got.

Have you thought about working for training providers. A lot of them are willing to take on new and/or inexperienced teachers and the teaching you'll be doing is virtually the same. A lot of training providers actually provide courses on behalf of FE colleges, so in reality the course is actually an FE one. But do choose wisely. Some training providers are brilliant and others quite frankly are absolute crap and just looking to make a quick buck at the expense of staff and students. Large training providers with locations nationwide tend to be the best for obvious reasons, but that is not to say small ones are not.

If you intend to teach EFL, then your qualification should be sufficient, but most EFL Lecturers/Teachers in FE have a DELTA or MA.

Return to “Jobs Discussion - Europe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests