non-native in Prague?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

Fikes

non-native in Prague?

Unread post by Fikes »

Hi everyone,

I've just finished my BA degree in Commercial Music Production, and I'm at that point of my life when I need to decide what my next move will be. Because there aren't really many actual employment opportunities in my field of study, and I am repelled by the idea of joining the corporate world, teaching english seems like a good idea. I am naturally communicative and I can break down information and explain well, thus I think I definitely have some potential.

However, I am not a native speaker; I am from Slovakia. I aquired my secondary education at an American high school (in Belgium), and got a first class BA degree from an English university (in England). Even though I don't think I sound native, I don't really have a strong foreign accent (depends on who I talk to tho, english people often thought I was canadian, but americans tend to think I'm either german or scandinavian). Also, I got an overall band 8 on my IELTS test when I was 18.

From what I've read on this forum, it seems that many tefl employers are just outright discriminatory and racist. I do understand where they're coming from, but it made me hesitant about signing up for the CELTA course. If I succsefuly completed the course, I would like to teach in Europe, preferably Prague. I might be deemed a local national by the Czechs, since Slovak and Czech languanges are the same in essence but I am not sure of that. I am half czech so I know I could learn czech fluently in little time.

If I did CELTA in Prague, how do you think I'd do with finding a job in Prague afterwards? I've seen a couple of tefl sites stating that "There is a general preference for native speaker teachers, so non-native speakers have to be a bit more determined to find work." What would my chances be elsewhere in the world, especially Spain or Thailand?
Would my american+english education combined with CELTA be convincing enough for me to find a decent TEFL job?

Please let me know your opinions on this, and if there is any advice or ideas you can think of, please share, I could use it all!:). I am seriously considering siging up for CELTA but I'd hate if a grand of my money and a month of hard work went to waste.

Thanks a lot!
Filip
mokitta

Re: non-native in Prague?

Unread post by mokitta »

Hi,
all I can say is that I am non-native (Italian) and I have been teaching in Prague since March: my very first teaching job.
I got my Cert.TESOL in London, but I don't think that's relevant.

I guess I am the living proof that it can be done. Don't despair, get your qualification sorted and good luck!
My challange will be to find a TEFL job in UK!!!