Thinking about teaching in Italy?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

samrice

Thinking about teaching in Italy?

Unread post by samrice »

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the Tefl business and this is my first post. I am looking for a little bit of advice really...

I am a British national, English is my mother tongue. I have a degree in Drama and Theatre Studies and i have completed 120 hours combined i to i course. I have taught a variety of age groups in schools and colleges and love teaching. Now I really want to teach in Europe somewhere like Italy, Sicily or Greece but i have been doing some research and have looked on the blacklist and found loads of horror stories, so now i'm not sure about the whole thing! Does anyone know of any reputable language schools or placements in any of these countries? Or, is it just better to go somewhere like China or Thailand?

Thank you so much

Sam
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Thinking about teaching in Italy?

Unread post by systematic »

I think your choice will hinge on whether you want the perceived security of being on reasonably familiar terrain in Europe, or whether you are ready for an exotic venture into the tropics and where things will, at least at first, be very unfamiliar. As far as Thailand is concerned, the country and the schools welcome job candiates with your qualifications. Take comfort that there are tens of thousands of foreign English teachers working here in Thailand, and hundreds of thousands more expats living here. Don't be put of by the reports of a bit of unrest in the Bangkok city centre.