Teaching in Moscow

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

greystroke

Teaching in Moscow

Unread post by greystroke »

Dear all,

Has anyone here taught in Moscow? If So , whats the experience like? I have been looking at IH Moscow. Any suggestions/ experience about/of working there is welcome.

thanks in advance
Greystroke
Kootvela
Rising Star

Unread post by Kootvela »

A late reply, but as for IH in general...don't bother, really. There are better options.
Clarisa

Better Options?

Unread post by Clarisa »

Such as?
Kootvela
Rising Star

Unread post by Kootvela »

Teach private lessons.
Clarisa

Unread post by Clarisa »

Thanks Lootvela.
TeacherRussia

Re: Teaching in Moscow

Unread post by TeacherRussia »

I haven't taught in Moscow but I worked for Language Link in Samara and I would recommend avoiding Language Link. It's far to commercialized and all they care about is running a business as opposed to actually teaching English. Your job is more focused on student retention than solid English teaching strategies.
Louis Marinelli
Kent State University
B.S. Russian Translation
Kent, OH 44243
larryparadine

Re: Teaching in Moscow

Unread post by larryparadine »

I've come in on this so late that the OP has probably long since made a final decision, but I must point out a major obstacle to Kootvela's cryptic advice "teach privately". That may work if you're already in Moscow and have either a residence permit or a "teacher' visa and the permission of the school or organisation that provided the visa to work privately (and I've never heard of any school that's prepared to be so generous, usually they fire teachers who moonlight and cancel their visas), but you can't just wander into Russia looking for work (not legally, anyway). I advise anyone thinking of working in Russia to look at the forum of expat.ru, where you'll find plenty of information and no shortage of discouraging stories about the bureaucratic requirements. I'll happily answer any pms on the matter.