Information needed about teaching in Shanghai

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

joewest1802

Information needed about teaching in Shanghai

Unread post by joewest1802 » 09 Mar 2019, 01:08

Hi to all,

I'm looking for some advice about teaching English in Shanghai. I'm a UK citizen, 32 years old. I want to get a job offer lined up before heading out there, rather than flying out there at my own expense and then hunting for a job once I'm there. I don't officially have a degree, as I was unable to complete the course.

Is it possible to do it without a degree? Will some places not actually check or ask for proof of it?

What sites can I use to apply for jobs? What is the process?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Admin

Re: Information needed about teaching in Shanghai

Unread post by Joe » 05 May 2019, 07:11

In general a degree is required not by the employer but by the government (before they issue a work permit), and I believe this is true in China. Many foreign teachers have been deported from China recently for skirting the laws. So while it may be possible to find a school to accept you, probably on unfavourable terms for you, it's risky. That said, China is crying out for teachers of English and the position may change.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven