Want to teach in Japan or Korea with HIV

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

acefondu

Want to teach in Japan or Korea with HIV

Unread post by acefondu » 10 Feb 2018, 01:49

I contracted HIV several months ago and desire to teach English in Japan or Korea through the JET program or EPIK program. I am perfectly fine with my viral load being undetected. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not having HIV is a factor on getting accepted? What about programs in Thailand or Cambodia?

Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Want to teach in Japan or Korea with HIV

Unread post by Briona » 11 Feb 2018, 11:51

Hi there,

A number of countries around the world require you to undergo a medical check before you're granted a work visa, and one of the things they screen for is HIV. Unfortunately, being HIV+ will make you ineligible for a work visa.

Because of the medical check, Japan and South Korea are definitely off the table, and I think Thailand is too. You might be able to find work in Cambodia - I don't really know anything about the requirements there. However, I'd strongly advise doing some research into the healthcare system, and checking whether you'd be able to access any drugs/medication that you needed first.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Bri
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar

Romeo

Unread post by Romeo » 23 Apr 2019, 16:25

Hi Briona. You are giving out incorrect information. Many people who are HIV+ teach English in Thailand. I also have a friend right now teaching English in Korea who is HIV+ and she also taught English in Bangkok for 2 years as well. Yes, you undergo a medical exam (quite simple) BUT they do not test your blood for HIV. I would like to know where you got that information from?? Can you please send links or some kind of proof where you got this information from. This is now 2019. some stuff online is from 10 years ago..... Thank you, Romeo

John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 » 29 Apr 2019, 11:33

You’ll likely get away with it in places like Thailand and Cambodia, but not China for instance where they do blood tests. I’ll stick my neck out here and say that if someone is HIV as a result of a lifestyle choice, like a criminal record it had best be kept very quiet, which throws up questions about morality.
Change My World: Politics, education & emigration http://changemyworld.forumotion.com

AmieK

Unread post by AmieK » 29 Nov 2019, 20:12

Where can one teach English as a foreign language if HIV positive?