379 More China Foreign Teachers Deported For Wrong Visas

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

379 More China Foreign Teachers Deported For Wrong Visas

Unread postby Murphy » 14 Jun 2014, 01:10

Please spread the word that no matter what any China job agent or recruiter may tell you, you MUST have a work visa ("Z") visa is you want to teach or work at any job in China. There are about 30,000 expat ESL & TEFL teachers working in China today and so far in 2014, 1,600+ of them have been arrested, fined, and deported for working on tourist (L) or business (F) visas. Most of them got 3 year reentry bans. Here's the story if you want the dish:

http://eslwatch.info/china-2/about-the-law-china/12117-1-600-expat-china-foreign-teachers-get-the-boot-in-2014-so-far-recruiters-schools-or-teachers-to-blame.html

I just got a free copy of all of China's new (2013) visa laws in English from the CFTU, and let me tell you, every agent I ever dealt with, never once told me about these laws - nor the consequences. Now I know better.
Murphy
Silver Member

Re: 379 More China Foreign Teachers Deported For Wrong Visas

Unread postby Polaris » 23 Jun 2014, 03:41

The deportation rate in China has almost doubled since 2012 because new teachers abroad wanting to come to China take the word of China job recruiters about visas instead of looking the visa law up on the internet. If you listen to the recruiters and job agents who tell you it is no big deal to come to China on an L or F visa and they will upgrade it for you, you are only fooling yourself. YOU CANNOT "UPGRADE" or "CONVERT" to a work visa from inside China, and you need an employer to give you an invitation letter that says you will be employed full time and require a "Z" visa. If any pressures you about this and refuses to give you an EMPLOYMENT invitation letter, just hang up the phone. China jails are a disgusting place to spend a few weeks waiting to be deported!

http://www.expatarrivals.com/answers/cftu-deportation-report-how-china-foreign-teachers-get-deported-really-quick-easy
Polaris
Silver Member

Re: 379 More China Foreign Teachers Deported For Wrong Visas

Unread postby Nathan » 25 Jun 2014, 01:02

Don't believe the agents and recruiters friends. The truth is plain and simple:

Z VISAS ARE ABSOLUTELY A MANDATORY L E G A L REQUIREMENT FOR EXPAT CHINA FOREIGN TEACHERS TO WORK IN CHINA!

If you get caught working without one you will be detained, fined, and deported and not allowed to return to China for 3-5 years!
Nathan
Silver Member

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia