Advice Needed New CELTA, Single, Female with Debts

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

saffedarling

Advice Needed New CELTA, Single, Female with Debts

Unread post by saffedarling »

Hello everyone,

I would really love some advice. I have recently completed and successfully passed my CELTA course. I have a BA degree, but in a completely unrelated field (not teaching or English). I have debts of around £7000 that I am looking to clear by working in ESL. To add an extra problem to the mix, I am engaged to someone living in New York (part of the reason for my debt accumulation!), and we already struggle with a 5 hours time difference so do not want to increase it to more than say 7-9 hours difference.

So, my question is, how likely and how advisable is it for me to teach in the Middle East, considering I am newly qualified and I need to be able to save a large amount of money? I would be looking to start in the next academic year (Aug/Sept/Oct 2014) and work for a year initially. I have been doing research and the best option I have found so far would be Kuwait, but I cannot find many positions. Saudi seems to have more, but will it be harder to adapt to? So far I have only lived in the UK and Mexico, and I have travelled to largely Westernised areas. If I make the commitment, I want to ensure that I am doing the right thing.

Can anyone share their experiences that might have been in a similar position? Does anyone have any websites they could recommend for further research?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help :)
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Advice Needed New CELTA, Single, Female with Debts

Unread post by Susan »

Have you thought of moving to New York and teaching English to immigrants there?
saffedarling

Re: Advice Needed New CELTA, Single, Female with Debts

Unread post by saffedarling »

I would love to do that, but as I am from the UK, I have been told that it is near impossible to teach in New York without a green card. We are planning to get married at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016, so it's the perfect opportunity to pay of my debts and save if I can. New York, as I am sure you know, is super expensive!