I found this gem at another ESL/TEFL forum and I just have to share...
10 Reasons Why & When You Should Use A Recruiter In China To Find A Teaching Job...
Since there are so many agents and recruiters residing on this forum pretending to be real ESL teachers so they can covertly promote themselves, I thought I would lend them a hand. Here are ten reasons why and when to use recruiters and agents in China...
1. Your mom and dad are rich and send you a $5,000 monthly allowance so you can afford to forfeit 30%-50% of your salary every month in placement fees.
2. You cannot read English and therefore cannot find your own job by using Google to find and contact schools directly via their principal or international office.
3. You are autistic and it takes you a looooooooong time to figure things out.
4. You are into pain and love the smell of Vaseline.
5. You are banging a fine hot Chinese girl who works as a recruiter and want to give her a special birthday gift.
6. When God was passing out brains you thought he said "trains" and you said "Thanks, but I really don't need one!"
7. You are just using a teaching job to get an F visa instead of an L visa and you will do a midnight run a week after you take the job in China.
8. You want to fit in with all the other Newbies who earn less than 10,000yuan per month and want to save them "face" and live in "harmony".
9. You truly believed the 5 or 6 users on this forum who are recruiters masquerading as genuine teachers.
10. You are not teaching in China to make money - only to enjoy the "experience"
So why am I an in China for 4 years and why did I use an agent? I only used an agent once when I first arrived here because I was naive and gullible. On my second gig I found my own job and now earn 18,000 yuan per month. I will stay in China because I met someone special and her dad is is super connected. My teaching days are numbered.