Tokyo without a degree?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Henry

Tokyo without a degree?

Unread post by Henry »

i everyone!

I have the same old question, looking for a recent answer to it. I really want to go to Tokyo on a working holiday visa from UK. I have no degree but a grasp of basic Japanese, good work reference as a store manager and intend to do a 4 week CertTESOL course. Am I living in dreamland or do I have a decent chance of getting a TEFL job in Tokyo? Any info greatly appreciated! Doumo arigatou!

Bonus question - any way for me to get a work visa after year 1?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Tokyo without a degree?

Unread post by Alex Case »

If you can get a working holiday visa, I think you have a fair chance, even if it means working in bars, convenience stores etc until you can get enough TEFL work together. As far as I'm aware, you'll then be able to self-sponsor for a visa in the second year as long as you earnt enough to do so in the first year. It won't be as easy as someone with a degree who just gets their visa sorted the normal way by their company, but a working holiday visa is definitely the way to go for someone in your position.
Henry

Re: Tokyo without a degree?

Unread post by Henry »

Hi Alex, thanks for the response :)

Very heartening, I needed just that bit more confidence! And never heard about self-sponsorship, I will have to look into that.

What a great site and forum by the way! Absolutely love it, one of the most useful websites I've used, on any topic.