Hong Kong NET scheme

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

parisjetaime

Hong Kong NET scheme

Unread post by parisjetaime »

Against some odds it seems, I have an interview at the end of the month for the Hong Kong PNET scheme (primary school NET scheme).

I say "against some odds" as I fall into category 4 - I don't have a degree in English, I don't have a PGCE / PGDE and I don't have any teaching experience. (I do have a CELTA - or will by March - and a degree in another subject.)

As someone brand new to TEFL I have no experience in TEFL teaching interviews and little idea of what to expect. Can anyone help with the things they're looking for? I've heard that the interview mainly focuses on your inter-personal skills (basically assessing how well you would work with other teaching staff) and your commitment to moving to Hong Kong. I have no idea what the 20-minute written test will cover - I don't know if this is a test of my English competency or something else.

Any help gratefully received!
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Hong Kong NET scheme

Unread post by Susan »

I'd be surprised if they don't ask about teaching as well as inter-personal and commitment stuff. At primary level, teachers don't teach complex language and grammar. I suggest you pick up a book on teaching primary and have a quick read through it.
parisjetaime

Thanks Susan - that makes total sense and I'll definitely do that.

Anyone actually been through these interviews and have any tips?
HKthe

Unread post by HKthe »

They invite you to complete and pass a written test before inviting you to interview, do they not?

I'm highly surprised they interviewed you, with such a background.
Most NETs have at least a B.Ed / DELTA / PGDE, and teaching experience.
Anyway, getting on the scheme itself does not mean you will get a job, and even if you do, it may probably be in one of the schools that nobody wants to go to...for good reasons.

In the previous cycle, there was actually an over-supply of NETs, people on the scheme, who ended up essentially jobless at the end.
parisjetaime

Hi HKthe,

Yes, I was surprised too. I did make an effort to include anything remotely relevant on my CV, e.g. I taught undergraduate students one-on-one for a while (not TEFL though), my degree included languages etc. But I suspect that it was my university and degree class that stood out - I can't really think of why else they decided to interview me.

The interview was actually yesterday, and for the benefit of others, it was not too daunting. The written test before the interview itself was a choice of 3 essay questions and I had 20 minutes to answer one of them. The interview focused on teaching methods and I would recommend reading about the HK school system and curriculum, and if you haven't taught primary school children before (as I haven't), you will need to research teaching methods for them - these are not covered by the CELTA. I read some books on general primary school teaching and one on teaching English to young learners, and I talked to some primary school teacher friends. This isn't a substitute for experience but it's the best I could do!

I'm not really expecting to get onto the scheme (although if I do... great!) and certainly not expecting to get a PNET job this year (although if I do... great again!). My current plan is to get experience in Hong Kong, probably in a kindergarten (as tutorial college experience doesn't count in the eyes of EDB) and then reapply next year.
jimkou

Unread post by jimkou »

I had my interview just yesterday. Not too confident though. I screwed up in the written part. Which question did you pick?
parisjetaime

I chose the third question, about skills and abilities. It's been a long time since I've written intensively by hand so I found it pretty difficult to write quickly and legibly! I also had a bit of a mind blank about the question, even though I'd anticipated it and prepared for it.

Which question did you try?
parisjetaime

I got in!! Just found out today. Hope you also did jimkou!
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

great news, well done
skyseandca

Unread post by skyseandca »

Hi Parisjetaime

I am waiting to be assess. Have they placed you in a school yet? I am curious about the contract negotiation process.
Gazza

Unread post by Gazza »

Hi Guys.

I see that all these posts were a year ago but I thought I would give it a go and see what happens. I have been invited for the interview and test and was wondering if anyone could be more specific about what the test is about. From what I read the test is three optional questions....what were the questions?

I would like to be as prepared as possible.

singer

Unread post by singer »

Congrats Gazza, we are on the same boat. I have been invited to the interview in Hong Kong, and you? Again, I have no idea what the test would be. I guess we need to brush up on the teaching terms and be prepared for a self-introduction with your skills and abilities. From my personal experience ( have taught in a famous tutorial school in Korea), the written questions could come in forms of self-intro, classroom management, stress management, working in teams etc. If you have teaching experience and it should be a piece of cake. Good luck!
Sambo

Unread post by Sambo »

Hello gazza

I also applied for the primary net scheme but still no reply. I have a degree and comes with a celta and 2 years of work experience. May I ask when you applied and how you got your reply back? Thanks
missblois

Unread post by missblois »

Hi

I applied for the NET Scheme in late Jan, and interviewed in late Feb 2014. I got told it would be a few weeks until I found out if I made it, has anyone else found out about their interview yet?
Murphy
Rising Star

Unread post by Murphy »

There is something wrong with this picture. Make sure they do not ask you to pay any moneys for an "evaluation" or "Processing fee". The order in which they processed you and your background as you described it makes me think this may be a scam. For your sake I hope not. Good luck.