Teaching in Hong Kong TEFL school w/o a degree

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

mchughes

Teaching in Hong Kong TEFL school w/o a degree

Unread post by mchughes »

Hi there,

I'll try and keep this as short as possible:

I am a 2nd year university student in the UK, although I am due to quit my course because I'm not enjoying it. I am due to take a 120 hour TEFL course in February and once I have that I will be furthering it with other similar qualifications. I also have some experience teaching English in Hong Kong, so I am familiar with the demands and expectations of the job, and I know I will enjoy it.

I am thinking of moving back to Hong Kong to teach English (I was born and raised there till I was 16), since I have family there and I am familiar enough with the culture and language.

However, HK seems to prefer graduates, which is obviously a problem for me. Although further research has shown me that it is possible to attain a job as a TEFL teacher without a degree, provided I have enough experience, I remain uncertain.

So my question is: how hard is it to land a job in a HK language school, keeping in mind I will have a TEFL qualification, but not a university degree?
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: Teaching in Hong Kong TEFL school w/o a degree

Unread post by pokedmund »

With a CELTA/Trinity TESOL and native English / native looks, you should be ok. They will haggle you on the wages (maybe $150+/hour).

Obviously, it's much better with a degree, but it's not impossible to teach in HK.

This isn't part of your question, but it's just me being nosey, but do consider that you may really enjoy teaching in Hong Kong, because if you did then the next logical step could be to take a PGDE/PGCE.

This would enable you to teach in schools (therefore, better career benefits and salary).

Or, with good looks and a smart tongue, you could be those "Tutor Gods", thus earning mega bucks (not that I'm encouraging you to do so cause I detest their teaching philosophies).

Although, a degree would be required for PGDE, only if you were interested in a career in teaching.
Last edited by Joe on 27 Jan 2013, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Former Native English Teacher in Hong Kong for 3 years.
British Born Chinese.