ESL teaching with a partner: only one of us has a degree

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Slambinator

ESL teaching with a partner: only one of us has a degree

Unread post by Slambinator »

Hello,

In the next few months, I will have finished my CELTA and will be looking for positions in Asia. I am planning on travelling with my girlfriend, and although she will also possess a TEFL course, she has not got a degree.

I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this position before, and what would be your recommendations? Most of the jobs online require a degree, which I have. Does it become easier to get non-degree jobs when you are already in the country?

I was thinking that I could secure a position and support as as needs be, while she looks for a place herself. Would this be a viable plan?

I would preferably be looking at countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, etc. Any other suggestions and advice would be very welcome though. Thank you.
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: ESL teaching with a partner: only one of us has a degree

Unread post by Susan »

I don't know whether it's easier to find a position once you're in the country. One of our members who live there should be able to answer. but I will say that you should look into the cost of living in your chosen country. Teachers' wages are not great in many places and a new teacher wouldn't be at the top of the salary scale. You should try to calculate how long you can live on savings or on one salary.

Susan
lalaa

Unread post by lalaa »

I work for an agency in China. Our office is located in Beijing, China, and our mission is to advance the English communication skills of middle school students throughout China. Which country are you from? Maybe I can help you. If you need my help, just contact me (PM).
Last edited by Joe on 07 Sep 2012, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email removed
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

There are not many, but in some places if one of you gets a working visa the other person can teach on a spouse visa. Pretty sure Singapore is like that, though beginner teaching jobs there are comparatively rare. Anyone know of any others?