Graduates2China - Any opinions?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

xswitchx

Graduates2China - Any opinions?

Unread post by xswitchx »

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could pick your wonderful brains for any opinions on this company: graduates2china.com/index.html.

I've recently finished university here in the UK and saw this advertised on the university's careers site. I sent off my CV and cover letter and got a call quite quickly and have subsequently been accepted on to a school when I send over my documents and pay the admin fee. They can't assign me to a school untill I send the bits and bobs over.

I've tried to do some research on the company but can't find too much online. It sounds like a great opportunity, especially since I don't exactly have a teaching degree and all they require is a £125 admin fee but I'm getting the feeling it's all too good to be true. If any of you know or have been involved with this company and can share your own experiences, that be amazing.

Thanks
josef
Admin

Re: Graduates2China - Any opinions?

Unread post by josef »

xswitchx wrote:and all they require is a £125 admin fee
http://www.tefl.net/esl-jobs/scams.htm
xswitchx

Unread post by xswitchx »

Would it be very very naive of me to think that just because an admin fee is required, doesn't defintely mean it's a scam.

From the outlook, the website looks ok and the person I spoke to hardly seemed like a scammer. Uh oh. I would be pretty dissapointed if this was a scam but probably better to be dissapointed then out of money.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Even if it's not an actual scam (and it sounds like it is), graduates with no TEFL qualifications can easily get jobs in China without paying a penny, so why do so? Also, if you've got spare cash why not do a TEFL course, in which case it will be even easier to find a job?
jasminade
Rising Star

Unread post by jasminade »

I am in China and have used an agency once but never did need to pay an up-front fee. That should be between the actual agency and the job provider.

I post because I have a concern. The "entry" visa that you require to teach in China insists that you have at least two years working experience (in any field). I do not want to put a dampener on what I am sure is a very exciting move for you, but I would be very wary of giving money away before you are sure you know what you are doing and who you are dealing with.

I have heard that certain provinces are not so strict on the above detail, indeed private schools are "generally" not so strict also. Just be careful.

Also, be wary of the visa that you need to teach in China. It is a "z" visa. And note that this is an "entry" visa which has an added requirement that you obtain a "residency permit" within 30 days of arrival (after telling the authorities that you have arrived within I think, 48 hours).

Do some more research on this. There is a lot of opportunities to teach here and certainly not just one agency to help you.