Thai culture at its highest level

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Thai culture at its highest level

Unread postby stephenr » 03 Jul 2011, 08:40

Last Monday (June 27, 2011) I gave my resignation in as I work for a military base in Bangkok, and it takes 3 months to hire someone as an instructor. I will keep working until the end of September (contract date), but I though it would be nice to give them the heads up early.

They advertised for the position on another web site and got a few replies (which was a surprise to me as the money that they had advertised was very low, and a few other things were missing), and two days after the interviews my co-worker got a text message on his cell phone from the department head saying that his contract would not be renewed at the end of September. He showed me the text, and I replied that it was to be expected of the department head as she was afraid of her own shadow, and she will not come and talk to him, but she will get someone else to do her dirty work.

My co-worker has worked for the military in the same capacity and same place for five years and he has never been late or given any problems to anybody, but this is how they treat him. This is something that one would not expect from any organization and especially a military establishment (Thai Government). And yes the department head has allegedly a master’s degree (what in I don’t know maybe communication) from Australia. I still can not believe that this happened, and all I can say is that I am glad that I am leaving.
stephenr
Registered Member

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia