CELTA but no degree in Asia??

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

cragtek

CELTA but no degree in Asia??

Unread post by cragtek »

Hello all,

I'm a 21-year old prospective EFL tutor, with a good CELTA qualification but no degree. I have had experience of university, and accumulated some credits, but I suspect this is irrelevant.

Effectively, I'm looking to teach in an Asian country (South Korea, Japan ideally...). I have discovered that most of these developed Asian countries require a Bachelors Degree in order to teach there, as well as the obligatory TEFL qualification.

Is there a way to teach in one of these countries without a degree? I've heard of people working without a work visa - is this advisable, or at least an option?

Regards,
-----------------------------
-Craig E. Laycock
Nigel
Rising Star

Teaching in Asia without a degree

Unread post by Nigel »

have you checked it out with the consulates in your country. they might give you an answer.

Nigel
veritas.ckim

Re: CELTA but no degree in Asia??

Unread post by veritas.ckim »

If you want to get hired by reputable schools in any countries except for China, you MUST have a degree. Korea immigration office won't accept even slightly damaged transcrip from teachers.
I've dealt with many problems with Korean Immigration office....sigh

You can work as a private tutor in Korea without E-2 VISA.. but since you never been in Korea plus don't know how to deal with Korean students, parents and Korea culture, I do not recommend to find private tutor jobs in Korea. It wil give you bunch of headaches and you wil end up hating Korea.

Chinese schools usually accept teachers without degree and maybe you can look into this more.
However, you need to do extensive research on schools before you jump into the conclusion.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA but no degree in Asia??

Unread post by systematic »

To attempt to teach without a minimum of a bachelor degree (any discipline) in Thailand could even be to risk deportation and/or a prison sentence. - it has happened. Some sleazy schools, particularly language institutes, may offer you some employment 'on the black' but the salary and conditions will not be good and you will be constantly be spending money on leaving the country to obtain new tourist visas.
See my postings on Thailand in other forums on this board, and do check this link for more information on Thailand TESOL visa requirements
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.