Job hunting in Hong Kong...

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

jenny

Job hunting in Hong Kong...

Unread post by jenny »

Hi I am in the process of completing my 100 hour TEFL course,I am British.I currently live in Israel and I am moving to Hong Kong with my husband at the begining of April.Up untill now I have sent over 104 applications to schools around Hong Kong and haven't recieved any replies.I have a degree and have experience teaching English and instucting work related courses.I was told by an employer in human resourses in one of the institutes in China that because I am still in Israel its a problem to accept me a job.Do all teachers in Hong Kong find their position after they arrive? Am I not supposed to secure my financial state before I arrive? Does anyone know if it's any easier to find an English teaching job in Hong Kong?
I would appreciate any information on this subject,and any job offers.
Jenny.
Last edited by jenny on 22 Feb 2009, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Re: Job hunting in Hong Kong...

Unread post by Peter Easton »

ESL jobs in HK are few and far between and almost non-existent for someone from a non-native speaking country.

In mainland China you will have no shortage of offers
jenny

Unread post by jenny »

For all who misunderstood,although I currently live in Israel,I am British.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Unread post by Peter Easton »

Well perhaps you have had no responses because you fail to follow some basic rules of punctuation and make simple spelling errors.

It might make sense to get an ESL qualification under your belt before trying to get a job in a city where almost everyone speaks fluent English already.

Anyway like your HR friend said, schools in Hong Kong are not desperate enough to hire a person who is not due to arrive for two months, just on the basis of a CV and prospective letter.