Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 18 Oct 2011, 17:07

Iconkiller wrote:This is China. A country that will be a failure in the future. All this kind of crap happens in every part of China. The world is well aware of what China is that's why this country will fail. These people here couldn't get it right in 5000 years or so? Then there is no hope for this country in a whole.


Very well-said. I have to agree. In the long-run, China will be a failed state. It simply cannot succeed.

Why? Check out the videos.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/videos/2 ... nders.html

cbc news link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162- ... e1.channel

Hey teachers! Backpackers! Do you still want to come to China to teach? Do you feel like getting run over and left to die?
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby RobertD » 19 Oct 2011, 10:16

ChiniFT is now RobertD - and I will be posting more here. I find it difficult not to share 7 years of experiences in China with newcomers to China and the TEFL world - just can't keep away!

PS The photography is something I've wanted to do for many years both when I was stuck in the IT world and later as a teacher in China. I posted a load of photographs on Flickr a few years ago to send to potential teachers to give them an idea of what living in PZ and the Guangzhou area would be like. Anyone interested - it's at http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertdingwall
User avatar
RobertD
Silver Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 07:54
Location: UK
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 20 Oct 2011, 03:16

People on the outside of China think this is not normal. But as we live in China this is very normal behavior. These things are normal for people in China. They don't like to help each other out. If you give them money they will help you. If you give them money they will be your friend. What a sad sad country!! Thinking like this will always set up failure every time. It is just a matter of time when China fails. Companies are already going back to the orgin where they come from. When this keeps happening that is when China will stop growing and decline in a rapid manor.
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 20 Oct 2011, 04:11

Your spelling is not good for an English teacher but it is clear that you have good insight into China. I think you are right about China.

Karl Wang: he cheats because he knows he is safe and can get away with it. That is how it seems. Another reason China is doomed - lots of guys like him around. Maybe 600 million of them.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby johnpz » 20 Oct 2011, 04:45

Like truthiness said, I think it's great for someone to get the hell out of PZ and into something they like doing.

I know puzzlebox didn't want to go into detail on Karl's embezzlement, and that's ok. I was just wondering if anyone out there had some proof and was willing to share the information. It would help this board achieve a lot if we could put down some facts about these activities.

Any news at PZ lately?
johnpz
Gold Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:23
Status: Teacher Trainer

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby johnpz » 20 Oct 2011, 04:51

truthiness wrote:Your spelling is not good for an English teacher


That line was hilarious to read.
johnpz
Gold Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:23
Status: Teacher Trainer

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby RobertD » 20 Oct 2011, 07:05

I was ChiniFT, but since I am no longer an FT I have "come out", so to speak and am actually RobertD.

I said I wouldn't add to this thread, but I can't resist. Thanks to the nice people who wished me well in my new venture - Photography. It was not my career before PZ, Computers were, and I was glad to get out of that rat race.

I do believe that China will fail, all the ingredients are there - suppression, financial control/manipulation. cruelty within society - the list is endless. Yet kindness does exist and is reciprocated when people are treated decently and not by buying them either. From our personal experience of being given little gifts from the lady who did the gardening in the FT's compound - bags of rice, fruit she had picked etc - just because we treated her like a fellow human being. The current empire in China, the CCP, will fall just as all the previous empires fell - it is the way China is. The development of the current "middle class", the Karl's etc, are all dependent upon the economic boom which in itself is a gross manipulation of market forces by the CCP ( I intentionally never use the word government when referring to the Chinese authorities ). So when the market economies of the west start to fail, as they are at the moment, the new middle class in China starts to feel the result - factories closing, businesses failing, cut-backs etc. When that point is reached, I think we will see the start of the "counter-revoltion" and since the CCP will have been seen to have failed the Chinese people, something which they say they will never do, but which keeps them in power, they will be replaced by something else. Now what that something else will be is a matter of conjecture as I can't really see a democratic form of government coming into place overnight. What will be good to see is the people avenging themselves against the CCP members who have suppressed them so much.

As an aside, do many or any of you know that Chini is host to four forced labour camps? One of the former FAO staff had a brother who was a guard at one of them. Also, the trucks that grind their way along the road through PZ come from a quarry that is also a forced labor camp. So, being at PZ, you'll find yourself amidst some of the things that exemplify modern China. It took us years before we knew of the "goings on" around PZ. But, I don't believe that anywhere in China is really any different and I would be the last person to dissuade someone from going to China to work and learn - the experience changed both our lives.

By reading many of the books about modern China that are available in the HK bookstores and combining that knowledge with observations of what is going on around you, all can be revealed. It took 7 years for it all to sink in for us. If you are really interested in learning this stuff and spreading the word when you return to your home countries then gen yourselves up with the facts - it is a most enlightening experience - get involved in the democracy movement in HK - if you're down there during the week try to take in a talk at the Foreign Correspondents Club - not cheap, but worth every HK$.

I could go on for much longer.........
User avatar
RobertD
Silver Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 07:54
Location: UK
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 20 Oct 2011, 14:58

johnpz wrote:
truthiness wrote:Your spelling is not good for an English teacher


That line was hilarious to read.


Like you can spell every word correct!! I spelt 1 word wrong. Doesn't mean I am not good enough to be an english teacher. You can spell better?
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 20 Oct 2011, 15:01

Most of the ESL teachers can't get a real job in their own country. So don't tell me you are a real English teacher because you are not! If you were good enough to be an english teacher why are you in China and not your own country? Because you don't have the understanding to be a real teacher either.
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 20 Oct 2011, 16:17

People on the outside of China think this is not normal. But as we live in China this is very normal behavior. These things are normal for people in China. They don't like to help each other out. If you give them money they will help you. If you give them money they will be your friend. What a sad sad country!! Thinking like this will always set up failure every time. It is just a matter of time when China fails. Companies are already going back to the orgin where they come from. When this keeps happening that is when China will stop growing and decline in a rapid manor.

No offence, because I support your statements. You seem to be a good person and your insight is good. Spelling isn't the most important thing on the planet. Do we want form or content? I admit I'm a bit pedantic, but dude, please write more carefully if you want to convince people your argument is right. There are at least two spelling mistakes and there are several weird constructions in your phrases. Nobody is perfect, but if you teach English....
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby johnpz » 20 Oct 2011, 16:32

Why do people always resort to the "I bet you can't get a job in your own country" argument? A lot of us can get jobs easily back home. Why would you choose sitting in an office for 40+ hours a week compared to the standard 20-hour week as an ESL teacher? Not to mention the 4 months of vacation compared with two weeks a year.

Just wanted to point out: a lot of ESL teachers aren't teaching abroad as a last resort.
johnpz
Gold Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:23
Status: Teacher Trainer

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 21 Oct 2011, 12:49

johnpz wrote:Why do people always resort to the "I bet you can't get a job in your own country" argument? A lot of us can get jobs easily back home. Why would you choose sitting in an office for 40+ hours a week compared to the standard 20-hour week as an ESL teacher? Not to mention the 4 months of vacation compared with two weeks a year.

Just wanted to point out: a lot of ESL teachers aren't teaching abroad as a last resort.



Very well stated! I have known several FTs who would have no problem working in their home country; in their chosen field. And then again, I have also met many undesirables; FTs who can barely keep a job at PZ and who would certainly have a very difficult time anywhere, doing anything. It's all relative.
puzzlebox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 17:09
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 21 Oct 2011, 17:04

Yeah, and it seems the management at Peizheng doesn't know how to differentiate between the wasters and the normal people. So they end up trying to steal from normal people, and act surprised when they take revenge. After all, if you are a waster, you don't care about yourself or if you get ripped off, so you will take your hits and just leave. So there are many willing victims at Peizheng. Karl Wang is as thick as a plank. To him, we are all the same. He is a chancer. Sometimes he gets burned, sometimes he doesn't. He lacks the subtle thinking needed to know who and when to rip off and who to leave alone.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ThirdView » 21 Oct 2011, 19:45

Was there an official announcement about Max stepping down? What was the official reason given?

Unless they had a good reason for letting him resign, it's hard to imagine Carl and what's-his-name in EEC - I've forgotten already, to allow a foreign supervisor to put them in a bind by having to replace him during the semester. Unless they wanted him gone, they would have told him, "You will either finish your contract or you will look for a teaching job at another school," complete with refusing to give him a recommendation letter. Either they were glad he was getting out of the way or they forced him out.
ThirdView
Gold Member
 
Posts: 88
Joined: 30 May 2011, 05:49
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby RobertD » 22 Oct 2011, 08:56

Has he just resigned as Director or quit the college?
User avatar
RobertD
Silver Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 07:54
Location: UK
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 22 Oct 2011, 10:44

ThirdView wrote:Was there an official announcement about Max stepping down? What was the official reason given?


RobertD wrote:Has he just resigned as Director or quit the college?


It is my understanding that Max resigned from being director and requested to return to teaching. It seems that due to the shortage of teachers this term; Max was asked to teach some classes since he wasn't teaching any. It's unusual that a director doesn't teach, since the program directors have always taught some (up to 4) classes as part of their duties. So, requesting (or demanding, or whatever) this, certainly wasn't out of line. However, Max was perturbed that he would also have to teach (besides doing nothing as a director). So it seems Max is still there teaching and is no longer director. This is not a surprise, since PZ needs FTs more than directors. They will probably keep him until they don't need him anymore. It would make sense that Karl didn't mind Max stepping down since he (Karl) gains a FT, yet Arthur was most likely not too happy since he is left without a program director. As usual; it's anybody's guess what the admin will do next.
puzzlebox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 17:09
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 23 Oct 2011, 14:53

Why do people respond to they can't get a job in their own country.
Because it is true. Many of us are very lazy people including you John.
All of us are overseas because we are lazy and don't want to work for
our money! John don't tell me you can get a job back home. Because
you can't! The Econ is so bad back home. No body here can get a job if they
go back home. TRY AGAIN YOU TRASH CAN!!!!!
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 23 Oct 2011, 14:58

johnpz wrote:Why do people always resort to the "I bet you can't get a job in your own country" argument? A lot of us can get jobs easily back home. Why would you choose sitting in an office for 40+ hours a week compared to the standard 20-hour week as an ESL teacher? Not to mention the 4 months of vacation compared with two weeks a year.

Just wanted to point out: a lot of ESL teachers aren't teaching abroad as a last resort.



You couldn't get a job back home. You have spent too much time overseas.
They would and will hire someone right out of college before you. So don't give
me that crap. We are all F ups. That is the reason why we are here. You couldn't
get a job back home. Look at Eric. He had to wait another year to get the job back
home. That is the reason why we convert to that.
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 23 Oct 2011, 15:47

Here is the deal. Ahem, a lot of expats, low-brow and high-brow, left their countries a long time ago because lack of opportunity or for cultural, mentality, family, and/or a whole host of other reasons. Expats are far from from F ups as you call them. On the whole, expats are the go-getters. They aren't sitting on the same front porch drinking beer and lemonade for 50 years, nor are they living in vans. I personally would rather live in a tent in Zimbabwe or pick grapes in Italy than work in the USA.

PZ is close to the bottom of the barrel and honestly, people are at PZ are only there for a year or two.

It's life. We aren't winners or losers. We are winners sometimes and losers sometimes.

OK, there are exceptions. Max is hardly ever a winner. I think he is responsible for the decline in the panda population with all that bamboo in his room. But then, he's the Imelda Marcos of the hat world, so it's worth it in his eyes.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby johnpz » 23 Oct 2011, 15:49

The economy IS bad back home. People with no specialized skills probably will have a hard time getting a job back home. Some people, I'm included but not the only one, graduated with degrees in specialized fields. I don't think it would be easy to get a job immediately back home, but not impossible.

Also, did you call me a "trash can" (in two words, no less)? Wow, just wow.... Keeping it classy and mature, eh?
johnpz
Gold Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:23
Status: Teacher Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests