Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 14 Oct 2011, 02:46

Close to Hongkong, Southern China University Oral English Teachers Needed
Posted By: Guandong Peizheng College <faopz@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 July 2011, at 8:05 a.m. "


That was not the right ad. The school clearly indicated that Peizheng was Southern China University. It used the name Southern China University.

This was the other ad.

Close to Hongkong, Southern China University Oral English Teachers Needed
Posted By: Guandong Peizheng College <faopz@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 July 2011, at 8:05 a.m. "
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 14 Oct 2011, 02:50

This one still is not the sameone. It didn't use close to Hongkong. It just said Southern China University. Anyways Peizheng is not a university it is a college.

Close to Hongkong, Southern China University Oral English Teachers Needed

Posted By: Guandong Peizheng College <faopz@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 July 2011, at 8:05 a.m.

BENEFITS :
1. Net Monthly Salary varies from 7500-8400RMB according to qualifications and experience.
2. Small class size (about 20 students).
3. Free use of Hong Kong Apartments.
4. All national holidays paid.
5. Yearly salary increase.
6. Free emergency insurance.
7. Set round-trip international airfare allowance for each year of teaching (2-part payment over 2 semesters).
8. Free on campus clinic
9. MORE INFORMATION ON WEBSITE: www.peizheng.net.cn/engpzweb.
REQUIREMENTS:
1. Native English speaker (from USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand)
2. Bachelor Degree or above
3. At least 2 years teaching Experience.
4. Under age of 60
CONTACT:
Lynne Chen
TEL: +86-20-86710135
FAX: +86-20-86710135 or +86-20-86710905
E-mail: faopz@yahoo.com
website: www.peizheng.net.cn/engpzweb
Address: Peizheng Ave.1, Chini Town, Huadu District, Guangzhou City, Guangdong
Province, PR. China,
Postcode:510830
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 14 Oct 2011, 06:37

I am wondering if it is true that some foreign teachers were killed going into Chini? I was told by some students over the last couple of days that some teachers were killed going into China a few years back. Can anyone answer this for me?
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby TheTruth » 15 Oct 2011, 03:14

Iconkiller,

I do not know of this incident at all.

In 2006, late autumn, two teachers were robbed and assaulted on the backroad from Peizheng to Chini. They were in one of those three-wheeler jitneys that sit outside of the main gate of the school. They were going shopping in Chini at the open air market. On the backroad to Chini there are two small hills and one larger hill. It was in between the little village and the larger hill and it was in broad daylight. All of us knew about it at that time and some of us knew the teachers.

Shortly thereafter the College made some rule about teachers not being allowed to use the backroad to Chini but that rule didn't last long.

In the meantime, the backroad has been considerably improved.
TheTruth
Gold Member
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:48
Status: School Admin

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ChiniFT » 16 Oct 2011, 07:42

I've just read all of this thread - looks like three or four people hanging around the campus in the summer break with nothing better to do than gripe about things. Considering there aren't that many people who hang around for the summer, I can only assume the posters know each other well.

Admittedly the people mentioned - Karl and Max, aren't exactly the nicest folk on the block, but it does seem a bit over the top to devote all this space to this topic when, after all, the thread was started by someone just asking for some advice.

There is the whole of China waiting for you to go out and explore and all you can do is produce this.

If you hate Pei Zheng that much, leave!
ChiniFT
Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 11:52
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 16 Oct 2011, 08:35

Why did Maxi Pad stop being the director? I have gotten many different types of answers. Hey Maxi Pad if you are reading this time to change yourself. Should have grown a set maned up and did the extra classes. It just shows how lazy you are as a director. It also shows your character as a person. Know we know the reason why you still don't live in America. Because you have no friends and to lazy to get a real job.
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 16 Oct 2011, 10:51

<<<<...Admittedly the people mentioned - Karl and Max, aren't exactly the nicest folk on the block, but it does seem a bit over the top to devote all this space to this topic when, after all, the thread was started by someone just asking for some advice.

There is the whole of China waiting for you to go out and explore and all you can do is produce this.

If you hate Pei Zheng that much, leave!>>>>

This post was written by someone who doesn't understand the situation and lacks basic logic. Advice is what this thread is about. The advice, in a nutshell, is to avoid Peizheng College. Some of the posters I believe have already left. Some are still in Peizheng, don't like the management, and are on their way out, such as myself. It has nothing to do with hating PZ. It's about justice and warning innocent people before coming here and it's about the people who are destroying PZ. The ones who hate PZ are Karl Wang and Max Long. They are running roughshod over Peizheng employees to get what they want for themselves.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ChiniFT » 16 Oct 2011, 12:03

I couldn't describe the diatribes and rumours you are helping spread as advice - you could quite easily have just said what you meant - i.e. avoid this college. And, yes, I do know what Im talking about having spent 6 years working at and enjoying Pei Zheng College. Yes, there were disputes, but you would get them in any work environment. Somehow people like you lot expect everything to fall into place to suit you. Life isn't like that!!!
ChiniFT
Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 11:52
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 16 Oct 2011, 21:13

This thread has been partially successful in warning people about PZ because the people contributing to it have done so with honesty and the right frame of mind. ChiniFT, you are just trying highjack this thread.

There are basically no dissenters here. That is how strong our story is.

This thread is a testament to how bad Peizheng College is under its present management.

I hope I can speak on behalf of most of the contributors here that we hope to warn other schools, and not only in China, that when you cheat and steal and mistreat people, there is a price to pay.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ChiniFT » 17 Oct 2011, 09:54

I'm certainly not trying to hijack this thread. However you came to that conclusion amazes me. I'm offering a different view to that which you take - perhaps not based on the current scenario, but equally valid being based upon my personal experience. Am I to take it that anyone who offers a contrasting view to your own will automatically be branded a hijacker - sounds like you're adopting the very tactics you oppose.

I'm not going to lecture here BUT when you move to a foreign country, and China is as foreign as you'll get, it falls upon you to adapt to the conditions that exist there which, in China's case is the predomination of the Chinese Communist Party in every organisation in the country including Pei Zheng College. If you want to delve into the internal power struggle within the CCP then good luck to you. Karl is on an upward spiral within that organisation, hampered by his Mongolian ethnicity as was Faar in his dealings with the GZ PSB and FEB. It's Karl's objective to be on the board at PZ, nothing less, and all his actions are towards that objective, so his ruthless treatment of FT's is all part of this scheme. His "money pinching" is not for his own benefit, but part of his ploy to show that he can cut costs within the FT budget - all to impress his bosses that he is doing a good job. However he gains wealth outside the confines of PZ is none of your business or anyone else's for that matter. Would you criticise an administrator in a US college for having outside business interests, I hardly think so. So why do it in his case?

How many of the new intake of FT's at PZ this year are as disgruntled as you appear to be, or are you going to bring your arguments to their attention, sowing seeds of discontent. In my stay at PZ there were always people who didn't like the system, but the vast majority got on with things and enjoyed their stay at PZ, regardless of how long it was be it one year or six, in my case.

You will not change things at PZ, just as you'll not bring democracy to China in the next few years. I admire you for taking up the challenge, but some of the things you have posted here go far beyond the remit of trying to dissuade people from working at PZ.

People's personal lives and their reasons for travelling to and working in China are exactly that - Private - and your slurs against the few homosexuals who have either worked at PZ or are still presently there disgust me. You sound like some kind of homophobe who has his/her own dark secrets to hide - you don't do yourselves any kind of good.

As I said previously, Karl and Max are not the nicest people in the world, and if your objective is to get them replaced then good luck in your endeavor. You might succeed with Max, but please don't think you will with Karl - no way.
ChiniFT
Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 11:52
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby johnpz » 17 Oct 2011, 16:04

ChiniFT makes some good points about Karl's ambitions and how they affect his actions towards foreign teachers.

The reason that many teachers are unhappy with him is probably the same reason people would be unhappy with anyone in his position.

As I've found, the problem with me personally (and possibly many others) is that Karl does not abide by the rules of contracts and agreements. Regardless of personal ambitions, contracts and agreements that have been made should not be breached. Unfortunately, most FTs are powerless in this situation because we are in China. I find this situation frustrating for myself.

It's this behavior and disregard for rules on Karl's behalf that angers many FTs posting on the board.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions and I hope that all commenters on this thread take into account others' opinions. Let's promote a healthy exchange of news and comments about PZ.
johnpz
Gold Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 07 Aug 2011, 11:23
Status: Teacher Trainer

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 17 Oct 2011, 17:31

ChiniFT wrote:I've just read all of this thread - looks like three or four people hanging around the campus in the summer break with nothing better to do than gripe about things. Considering there aren't that many people who hang around for the summer, I can only assume the posters know each other well.


If you have just read this entire thread; it would appear that maybe you have too much free time on your hands. What? Not enough paperwork or overtime classes? And, please, don't feel so self-assured that all the posters on this thread were hanging around campus all summer with nothing better to do. Anyone can post here from anywhere in the world. Wake up! It's 2011 and we use the internet now. One does not have to be in Chini to post about PZ.

Yes. There are many (past and present) FTs who gripe about the situation and conditions at PZ. And yet, in many cases, their gripes are real concerns. This thread is about providing advice and information about Peizheng (good and bad). Yes. It has sometimes become a platform for many complaints. Yet, it has also served as a warning to newcomers and to inform the uninformed possible newcomers of the many undesirable aspects concerning this school. Everyone does have a right to their views, and some posters have been (relatively) responsible in their posts. And then again, some have been not been so responsible. There is no real way to control all the fabrications, exaggerations, hearsay, and rumors that do tend to get posted here. Some feel the situation at PZ is volatile. Some feel it's bad or not so great, yet bearable. However, most veteran FTs (past and present) would agree that PZ has more than its 'fair share' of problems.

ChiniFT: By the tone in some of your posts, it seems you are more than willing to bear all of the downside of PZ in order to continue to enjoy the easy life that it can be. Kudos to you! Just keep your blinders on for another 6 years. But, in case you didn't notice; the conditions at PZ now are far worse that they were 6 years ago!

Many of the posters on this thread attempt to stay on track with providing information, while many resort to other means. Some even seem to enjoy to distract and use the thread as their personal soapbox. All in all, the thread does provide a somewhat real image of the multitude of troubles at PZ. However, there isn't any need to insult other posters, slander the names of other FTs, and to use this thread to further spread rumors and hearsay. Of course, many will consider their opinions and assumptions as truth and feel free to post whatever they like. It's up to the readers to discern what is believable and what appears to be ridiculous.

As I have followed this thread for a while now; I have read many truths, fabrications, exaggerations, distractions, rumors, etc. And as I have spent some time at PZ (or rather did my time there), I am well aware of what is what! Yet, many who look here for information and have never been to PZ are reading much of this in the dark. I am sure this thread has, and will, deter many FTs from considering PZ as a place to work. But, I also find it ironic that, as many readers that will avoid PZ after reading much of this thread, many will be attracted too.
puzzlebox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 17:09
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 17 Oct 2011, 18:09

johnpz wrote:ChiniFT makes some good points about Karl's ambitions and how they affect his actions towards foreign teachers.

The reason that many teachers are unhappy with him is probably the same reason people would be unhappy with anyone in his position.

As I've found, the problem with me personally (and possibly many others) is that Karl does not abide by the rules of contracts and agreements. Regardless of personal ambitions, contracts and agreements that have been made should not be breached. Unfortunately, most FTs are powerless in this situation because we are in China. I find this situation frustrating for myself.

It's this behavior and disregard for rules on Karl's behalf that angers many FTs posting on the board.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions and I hope that all commenters on this thread take into account others' opinions. Let's promote a healthy exchange of news and comments about PZ.


Unfortunately, Karl will not be gotten rid of easily. As ruthless and corrupt as he is: he is protected by above and will most likely be at PZ until that situation dramatically changes.

However, Karl is also not very well liked by many of his colleagues, as well as not being liked by the PZ Board; so his ambition (if any) to become a member of the Board, may very possibly be futile. And, I'm sure you can imagine why he is protected though.

Btw: It's certainly not the Board protecting him, and it's not because he is so good at budgeting money and cutting costs for 'The School'. And remember, in any business or country, when someone "obtains" (want to say 'steals' but I won't) extra money through their position; it's considered unacceptable. And, if that person then uses that obtained extra money to invest and procure personal gain; then it's not truly a private/personal matter anymore now, is it?
puzzlebox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 17:09
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 17 Oct 2011, 18:21

ChiniFT wrote: ...Karl is on an upward spiral within that organisation, hampered by his Mongolian ethnicity as was Faar in his dealings with the GZ PSB and FEB. It's Karl's objective to be on the board at PZ, nothing less, and all his actions are towards that objective, so his ruthless treatment of FT's is all part of this scheme. His "money pinching" is not for his own benefit, but part of his ploy to show that he can cut costs within the FT budget - all to impress his bosses that he is doing a good job. However he gains wealth outside the confines of PZ is none of your business or anyone else's for that matter. Would you criticise an administrator in a US college for having outside business interests, I hardly think so. So why do it in his case?...


Please read my post above quoting Johnpz. It may shed some light upon the darkened room of Karl's interests. And, I certainly don't agree it's all about "impressing" his bosses. Also, the reference to "money pinching" is not how 'many' would describe his actions. "Skimming" is maybe a more suitable and polite term.
puzzlebox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 17:09
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 17 Oct 2011, 23:00

We will not change China. We will not change local government. We will not change the PSB. But we are doing our duty to warn foreigners against coming Peizheng to work. It is our duty. After all, we are not paid for this.

It's fair to say we might not be successful in getting Karl Wang fired. But let's do what we can - let prospective teachers know what's happening in PZ, and above all, leave PZ.

It doesn't matter what you do. There is always someone in your face complaining about it, or "how it was done".

No good deed goes unpunished.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ChiniFT » 18 Oct 2011, 07:44

Actually I no longer work at PZ nor am I teaching Oral English. The reason my wife and I left PZ was purely personal and had nothing to do with the college.

puzzlebox wrote:
johnpz wrote:ChiniFT makes some good points about Karl's ambitions and how they affect his actions towards foreign teachers.
......

As I've found, the problem with me personally (and possibly many others) is that Karl does not abide by the rules of contracts and agreements. Regardless of personal ambitions, contracts and agreements that have been made should not be breached. Unfortunately, most FTs are powerless in this situation because we are in China. I find this situation frustrating for myself.


Unfortunately, Karl will not be gotten rid of easily. As ruthless and corrupt as he is: he is protected by above and will most likely be at PZ until that situation dramatically changes.

However, Karl is also not very well liked by many of his colleagues, as well as not being liked by the PZ Board; so his ambition (if any) to become a member of the Board, may very possibly be futile. And, I'm sure you can imagine why he is protected though.

Btw: It's certainly not the Board protecting him, and it's not because he is so good at budgeting money and cutting costs for 'The School'. And remember, in any business or country, when someone "obtains" (want to say 'steals' but I won't) extra money through their position; it's considered unacceptable. And, if that person then uses that obtained extra money to invest and procure personal gain; then it's not truly a private/personal matter anymore now, is it?


If you look at what I said about Karl's ambitions - they are within the CCP and the Board of PZ. The longer we stayed in China the more we came to understand just how the system works. It doesn't matter whether the other board members like or dislike Karl - the decision to make him a board member will not be made by the board, but by other forces. PZ started out as a philanthropic venture by some Hong Kong businessmen who were alumni of the Pei Zheng School in Guangzhou as a way of contributing something "back" to their motherland (their term, not mine). It didn't take long for local Chinese businessmen to hijack the board and the Hongkongers left it to them. Now it seems that the Beijing authorities have seen it fit to choose the new President of the college. So, the party takes over from the philanthropists. How wonderful - a bit like Hong Kong having their Chief Executive chosen for them. This is how China works and is how Karl thinks - he doesn't give a damn about his colleagues, the current board or his FT's for that matter - he thinks only of himself and how he can climb the ladder within the Party. As for his owning two apartments in Huadu - a member of the Party doesn't need money to buy them - China Construction Bank and its like are there to provide full loans for the faithful. That's how the system works - the higher you get in the Party, the more perks you get - house loans, car loans etc. Don't think that Karl is "skimming" the FT's for that purpose - he has no need to do that - it's just his obnoxious personality.

The main drift of my posting here was not to criticize the main posters, but to allow some newcomers to China to enjoy the positive aspects of PZ and teaching in China - and there are many. We hear lots of tales of FAO's around China that are much worse than PZ - even one that banned FT's from socialising together for fear that they would do exactly what the posters are doing in this thread. The people I knew who were terminated or left in disgrace deserved evrything that happened to them and for good reason. e.g. one newcomer as his introductory lesson was going to show a movie to his classes and ask them how many times they heard the "F" word being used. He was sacked that night and rightly so. Another was asking his female students about certain parts of their anatomy, etc and was deported, I believe. These are two amongst many of the weirdos that come to any Chinese University/Colleges. PZ has had its fair share, but the vast majority of FT's at PZ are nice honest and caring people. Now Max is an exception to that -he is not nice, caring nor even remotely honest.

So, to whoever is there, is a new teacher and is reading this thread - take a look around you and decide for yourself, based on your own feelings and thoughts, whether you might just be able to enjoy the next year of your life as a teacher at PZ - I most certainly hope you do.

No more from me on this subject.

PS I have no need to hide behind the ChiniFT monicker
ChiniFT
Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 11:52
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ThirdView » 18 Oct 2011, 13:13

Any word on who the new Program B supervisor is?
ThirdView
Gold Member
 
Posts: 88
Joined: 30 May 2011, 05:49
Status: Teacher

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 18 Oct 2011, 16:50

ChiniFT wrote:If you look at what I said about Karl's ambitions - they are within the CCP and the Board of PZ. The longer we stayed in China the more we came to understand just how the system works. It doesn't matter whether the other board members like or dislike Karl - the decision to make him a board member will not be made by the board, but by other forces. PZ started out as a philanthropic venture by some Hong Kong businessmen who were alumni of the Pei Zheng School in Guangzhou as a way of contributing something "back" to their motherland (their term, not mine). It didn't take long for local Chinese businessmen to hijack the board and the Hongkongers left it to them. Now it seems that the Beijing authorities have seen it fit to choose the new President of the college. So, the party takes over from the philanthropists. How wonderful - a bit like Hong Kong having their Chief Executive chosen for them. This is how China works and is how Karl thinks - he doesn't give a damn about his colleagues, the current board or his FT's for that matter - he thinks only of himself and how he can climb the ladder within the Party. As for his owning two apartments in Huadu - a member of the Party doesn't need money to buy them - China Construction Bank and its like are there to provide full loans for the faithful. That's how the system works - the higher you get in the Party, the more perks you get - house loans, car loans etc. Don't think that Karl is "skimming" the FT's for that purpose - he has no need to do that - it's just his obnoxious personality.


For the record: It's not that I disagree with you concerning the "Karl Factor" at PZ. I am well aware of much of the history of PZ, and I do agree with you in regards to the Party moving in and Karl moving up the Party Ladder. After all, to be a Chinese supervisor/director/leader at the college, one does have to be a Party member. When Karl took on the position, he was very low on the totem pole. And yes, he has certainly moved up the ladder during the years that he has held the position as FAO director. It is more than evident in his "I am King now" attitude, which he did not have several years ago. Yet, Karl has been caught with his "hand in the till" on several occasions. The fact that he gets away with it now is directly due to one person above him and this situation is more 'indirectly' due to his ties with the Party. He now has a very good "Chinese relationship" as they say. And with all such "relationships", money is most certainly involved. It now seems that the power struggle between the Board and College leaders is becoming more apparent to be a losing battle for the Board. Karl may have his sights on becoming a Board member; but please don't think that is his only mission. Greed does become him and suits him very well indeed. I won't bother to get into the issues of his "skimming" over the years and how he has been caught in the past. It doesn't really matter. The fact is, he does make extra money, gets away with it, and will continue to do so. Btw: He is not only skimming the FTs, but the school as well; as he uses the FT budget. Also, it is a known fact to many that Karl has a blatant disregard for foreigners and thus another irony; he is Head of the FAO. Now that's a dark comedy in itself.

Btw ChiniFT: good luck in your new venture and life away from the PZ drama.
puzzlebox
Gold Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 26 Jun 2011, 17:09
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby Iconkiller » 18 Oct 2011, 16:53

This is China. A country that will be a failure in the future. All this kind of crap happens in every part of China. The world is well aware of what China is that's why this country will fail.
These people here couldn't get it right in 5000 years or so? Then there is no hope for this country in a whole.
Iconkiller
Silver Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Oct 2011, 02:43
Status: Other

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby truthiness » 18 Oct 2011, 16:58

It's always wonderful to see success stories of teachers going back to their chosen professions or able to switch to a different career.

It's also a reminder about how lots of people do TEFL only as a stop-gap measure. I don't blame them, especially after working in China.

I wonder how many EFL teachers would rather do other work. Probably a large majority.
truthiness
Gold Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 01 Aug 2011, 17:14
Status: Teacher

PreviousNext

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests