Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ThirdView » 08 Aug 2011, 06:47

A couple of days after I submitted my site to Google, it was in the top 10 search ranking. I checked it a couple of hours ago and it was still in the top 10. I used basic metatags. So I don’t see that I need extensive metataging.

The only reason a government official would read any of our sites, indeed get involved at all, is if someone offered proof of criminal activity. My site is about unreasonable and outrageous behavior, not criminal activity.

Even if a government official were to investigate the way Karl and Arthur treated me, a Chinese government official’s definition of abusive behavior and a foreign teacher’s definition of abusive behavior are different. And no Chinese government official is going to investigate the way Max treats the Program B staff because they don’t care what foreigners do to each other.

Parents aren’t going to refuse to send their children to Pei Zheng College because one of the EEC foreign teachers said on a website, “Max mistreated me.” So they’re going to spend even less time reading English websites than Chinese government officials.

So I don’t see that I need any translated metatags either. Meanwhile, my link is on major ESL message boards.

If you’ve got evidence of Karl’s criminal activity, contact the government agencies directly. Otherwise, our primary target needs to be foreign teachers.

Our most effective message is what type of treatment they can expect at the hands of Max. And that neither Karl nor Arthur will protect them from Max. Indeed, Karl and Arthur will retaliate if they stand up to Max or demand that the Chinese administrators deal with him.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 08 Aug 2011, 06:51

There’s plenty of reason to believe Karl and other administrators are skimming and stealing. Textbooks. Student club fees. February pay interest rates. Summer pay. But it’s all circumstantial evidence and second hand testimony.

Here’s one. Every school employing foreign teachers is required to send them for a medical exam. Foreign teachers can’t get foreign expert certificates without a health certificate and they can’t get a health certificate without a medical exam. Pei Zheng foreign teachers don’t get medical exams and therefore don’t have medical certificates. Yet they all have foreign expert certificates.

Medical exams cost 800-1000 yuan. Multiply that times 80 teachers on a yearly basis. Surely money for medical exams is in the school budget. So where does the money go? But surely the FEB would be in on such a scheme, ie, getting a piece of the action.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 08 Aug 2011, 11:49

TheTruth portrays the Pei Zheng College foreign teaching staff as a freak show. There’s no shortage of flakes, but the situation isn’t near as bad as he depicts. The reasonable normal outnumber the undeniably abnormal. In order to accurately make such an assessment, TheTruth would have to become intimately acquainted with 80 people who live in different dorms, work in different departments and programs, and teach in different buildings. Even assuming all 80 of these people were willing to allow TheTruth into their lives to that extent, such a feat would be logistically impossible.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 08 Aug 2011, 16:58

ThirdView wrote:Every school employing foreign teachers is required to send them for a medical exam. Foreign teachers can’t get foreign expert certificates without a health certificate and they can’t get a health certificate without a medical exam.

I had a medical exam. I went with two other teachers to the place in a van with the admin assistant in charge of visas, medical certificates, and FECs. You may not have done the health exam because you had had your FEC extended. In other words, you had already had it done while at your previous employer. I'm assuming it's all legal - that we don't need a yearly exam.

--------------

After Google searches for "peizheng", this forum shows up second. Not many people are going to search "peizheng scandal". If you want heavier traffic to your domain, I suggest changing your metatags.

If you search "peizheng max long" the first result is the Youtube video.

--------------

TheTruth's comments:

- I am not afraid of my IP address being known. They can come and get me if they want. They know what room I'm in. But they know that they are guilty of some things and I'm not sure they want to open that can of worms. I keep myself clean. I always come prepared to class, I don't make noise in the building, and I'm never late. And if I don't want them to call me, I can get another phone number. Who knows, they might start leaving messages on my door, Max-style.

--------------

I assume that Karl Wang has set up a bugging system at the Magick Cafe and in other locations too, including Max's office and Eric's office. I don't even think he needs informants, though Chinese students would be great informants to him if necessary. That's one thing they do well. Let the cafe be wary of who they hire.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 08 Aug 2011, 17:06

ThirdView wrote:TheTruth portrays the Pei Zheng College foreign teaching staff as a freak show. There’s no shortage of flakes, but the situation isn’t near as bad as he depicts. The reasonable normal outnumber the undeniably abnormal. In order to accurately make such an assessment, TheTruth would have to become intimately acquainted with 80 people who live in different dorms, work in different departments and programs, and teach in different buildings. Even assuming all 80 of these people were willing to allow TheTruth into their lives to that extent, such a feat would be logistically impossible.

Amen. There are far too many alcoholics and wasters, but it's fair to say there are many many reasonable teachers too. ThirdView says some things I agree with to an extent, but he/she is too extreme with the teachers. Give us a break. You have admin, and you have the teachers. Then you have individuals within admin, just as you have individual teachers.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 08 Aug 2011, 17:12

ThirdView wrote:A couple of days after I submitted my site to Google, it was in the top 10 search ranking.

The only reason a government official would read any of our sites, indeed get involved at all, is if someone offered proof of criminal activity. My site is about unreasonable and outrageous behavior, not criminal activity.

Top 10 search ranking for what?

Again, in China, illegal activity doesn't matter. It's what gives China a bad name that counts, so I don't agree with your comment. Image is important here. I think the flip side of what you said. I think (= know) they won't get involved if there is criminal activity but they might get involved if Karl Wang gives Chinese schools a bad name in the EFL world.

Criminal activity, when I last checked, is well within the definition of unreasonable and outrageous activity, uh, which is why it was made illegal.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 08 Aug 2011, 17:25

ThirdView wrote:TheTruth portrays the Pei Zheng College foreign teaching staff as a freak show. There’s no shortage of flakes, but the situation isn’t near as bad as he depicts. The reasonable normal outnumber the undeniably abnormal. In order to accurately make such an assessment, TheTruth would have to become intimately acquainted with 80 people who live in different dorms, work in different departments and programs, and teach in different buildings. Even assuming all 80 of these people were willing to allow TheTruth into their lives to that extent, such a feat would be logistically impossible.

Great...I was waiting for something like this so that I could provide some anectodal evidence, based upon my own experiences, as to just how flaky some of the foreign teachers have been and are, all of this in random order:

1. The American who was perfectly bipolar and who stopped taking his medicine. He beat up a 70-year old lady teacher, the FAO, and one another teacher. This was the FAO who was name was Farr and who has since left. Other names will remain anonymous. Still, they did not fire him, believe it or..and he continued to terrorize the school until he went to Guangzhou one night, did not take his medicine, and picked a fight with some guys belonging to the Guangzhou Mob. He came back to the College nearly brain-dead (I mean it) and the U.S. Consulate had to ship him home.

2. The lesbian overweight American who decided that she should have the privilege of taking off all of her clothes at the College Swiming Pool and tanning herself, which she did, and for which she was fired from the school in about two days, the result of which, to this very day, has made the Administration wary of opening the pool to the foreigners.

3. The Italian-American who went to a "public house" in Shenzhen and then refused to pay the bill, upon some excuse, and who was beaten bloody by the pimp-on-duty and returned to the College nearly wrapped in a newspaper, a la the Godfather. Not fired then, either, but continued to beat up the locals (at the local Bu Bu Gao and someone else on a street corner in Huadu). Still protected by the College, he fled when the police came looking for him (strangely enough, Karl called him to tell him to stay in his room because the police were coming to get him). He escaped to Thailand.

4. The trumpeteer who loved to get up every morning at 05h00, or thereabouts, and play his trumpet loud and clear from his balcony on the 5th floor, rear, and of course woke up all the College. He was terminated, strangely enough.

5. The Australian who overdosed on a mixture of cocaine-and-alcohol and had to be remanded to hospital to Huada and when the police intervened, remanded himself to hospital in Hong Kong to avoid detention. Strangely enough, the Program "B" director, the infamous M. of the not-so-drug-clear cafe, took up a more-or-less mandatory collection for him.

6. The married-but-overweight daughter of No. 5 above who somehow, somehow, forsook men for women at the college, debauching a few female, underage students along the way, before running off to Canada to get married with the Program B director, also a lady. Pretty site that was.

7. The Filipine lady, a beautiful lady at that, who took up with the very old husband of a teacher who was ill with cancer of some kind, and then publicly cohabited with him at the College, with the wife right there. He was of course fired -- she was not, she was not even summoned for a come-to-Jesus talk. Nonetheless, she has been fired, along with all of the other Filipinos. As a post-factum, the wife has since departed this life and the Filipine lady has absconded to the Islas Filipinas with her new husband...guess whom?

8. The perfectly drunken Program B director, a gift from St. Preston of the Yukon, or a gift from Hiram Walker, I am not sure, nonetheless, she was drunk from the time she got up (when she got up) until the time she passed out (usually around lunch). It took them at least 5 months to fire her and by that time the program was in shambles.

9. The American male, very white, very thin, very, very gay, who spent the better of his time debauching as many of the stars of the Peizheng basketball time as he could debauch and then regaling all who would listen with the details. He was also a very good friend of Dr. Wild Turkey and Mr. and Mrs. Johnnie Walker Red Label. Strangely enough, he succeeded to a large degree and judging by the traffic from his flat, he was very succesful.

10. The black American who was too lazy to take his garbage down from the sixth floor. He thus simply flung all of it over the balcony. What a site that...and it would have continued had the wind, one fine day, not carried the garbage into the balcony and the apartment of a teacher on a third floor. Fired ipso facto, in an equal opportunity manner.

11. The Canadian-Chinese, who didn't even last a heartbeat, because after he moved in, he was reported to Karl for having moved in two or three public ladies from Chiini with him (true enough, the police were summoned, the ladies were removed, and he was deported).

12. Then there is Karl's little play toy, the American guy, who is still there, who has had some nice raises, and a few other benefits, both on top and on the bottom of the scale. Hallelujah!

13. Then there were all of the black teachers who were terminated, removed or not renewed in order to keep the College white.

14. Then were all of the senior citizens who were terminated, removed or not renewed, etc., etc.

15. Ditto for the Filipinos.

16. There is one senior citizen left, a man, who has been mentioned in these forums, described as a model teacher, perhaps, but not a teacher by background, an athlete of some kind, always into fitness, always into playing daddy to some younger guy, etc., etc., not exactly the paragon of human warmth, even if he is a good teacher (and I pass no judgment there, either for nor against).

17. Then there were all of the druggies, who twice a month, transported themselves into Guangzhou (and still do, as far as I can tell) to make their "purchases" and bring these "items" back to the College. What a disgusting lot.

And there are numerous to say the least...I am just too revolted by all of this trash to continue.

Frankly, if I were Chinese, I would be truly, truly mortified by all of these freaky foreigners. More trash than there is in the biggest garbage dump in New Jersey.
TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby johnpz » 08 Aug 2011, 17:37

i was given a medical exam with a lot of other teachers at the same time when i arrived. the only people that don't need to do it are ones transferring from another job in china to pz.

for prospective teachers:

Program A
This program is well managed and you won't have problems if you show up to class on time for the whole time. Being prepared, in all truthfulness, is a plus and not requirement. You can (and a lot of people do) make it up as you go if you want as well. The job is simple: you have 90 minutes to get 20 kids to speak English, any English. A usual class can be:

-Give a topic, make a conversation, act out the conversation
-speaking games
-etc

the work will not seem like it's a job.

Program B
This program is a little worse. the director is really immature. he's friendly and nice, but just off in a lot of ways that show social awkwardness. i have also seen him grope a girl on the buttocks once. i've only seen this happen once. i can't say if it was a mistake in placing his hand or not, but it definitely happened. the director doesn't manage his teachers well but the classes are really easy to teach and usually have 10 students or less that show up out of 20.

the environment around pz is pretty bad. sewage overflowing along the roads, dust from constant construction, poor cities nearby, poorer people. not what i would have thought china to be like (1. big city like beijing or 2. peaceful and clean area like crouching tiger hidden dragon).

It's really hot in GZ in the summer, so there are a lot of mosquitoes and rats (rats are year-round) around. humidity is also pretty bad, occasionally affecting the classrooms. the classrooms have fans from about 20 years ago. power goes out sometimes and the classrooms are pretty baren: chairs, chalkboard, and lectern. apartments do have air conditioning.

the people at pz presently are older. most foreign teachers are about late 30s to mid 50s. this shows that working at pz is, overall, an easy life. something that i have heard people talk about doing when they want to retire.

a lot of people drink, but few people do it and get out of hand unless it's the weekend. 95% of people don't let drinking affect teaching. they might offend people at the bars, but that could happen at any bar. drug use is probably minimal. i say probably because it's hard to spot if at all.

there have been a few problems with sexual harassment. one girl quit because she was sexually harassed by a teacher. not in a touching way but more verbal to the point that she felt uncomfortable enough to quit. another teacher (not max this time) gets drunk and gets grabby with almost all the female teachers. i'm not sure, but i think nobody really did anything about these guys. not sure if they will be back next year or not.

a lot of mosquitoes are around. they can be bothersome if you are sensitive to mosquito bites.

winters are pretty warm. it doesn't get too cold for too long so that's not bad.

it's hard to get things done by FAO. the only sure-fire way is to date someone who works in the FAO. that's the only way to ensure that you have a working air conditioner, fridge, and kitchen hob at the same time. haha

tl,dr: easy place to work without amenities, if you can put up with reliving college life with older people

anything else?

ps. didn't use proper capitalization, please don't make it a bigger deal than the info given.
johnpz
Gold Member

Unread postby johnpz » 08 Aug 2011, 17:43

in response to the listing of people at pz that were a negative influence,

those people are gone. the people there now are not nearly as bad as those, in my opinion. it seems like you have more of a grudge against the people working with you than anything else. there are so many people that you have just portrayed so negatively. maybe it's not them that's the problem?

just a consideration
johnpz
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 08 Aug 2011, 17:48

TheTruth's comments:

I wonder if this is the reason Karl Wang doesn't like foreigners. I suppose it's also a reason he thinks he can get away with stealing their money.

Avoid Peizheng College! Maybe the foreign teachers are an even bigger reason to avoid this place.

Perhaps alcohol should be banned in Peizheng, on- and off-campus.

Purely anecdotal comments by TheTruth, but well-said, anyway.

---------------------

FOREIGN TEACHERS! CLEAN UP YOUR ACT. HOW DARE YOU EXPECT GOOD TREATMENT WHEN HALF OF YOU ARE DRUNKARDS AND WASTERS?

This basically means it's a BAD IDEA for a serious foreign teacher to come to PZ. You will be group into a pool of wasters and treated like crap.

---------------------

Yes, I support BOTH arguments:

ThirdView: - Foreign teachers aren't treated well.

and

TheTruth: - Foreign teachers don't deserve to be treated well.

How does this work? Because SO MANY of the FTs are so badly-behaved, you get grouped together with all FTs.

So this leaves us not black or white, but somewhere grey/gray.

Don't come to Peizheng. There are way too many foreigners here. I will never consider working at a place like this again. The best aspect is the actual teaching and the housing is ok too.
Last edited by truthiness on 08 Aug 2011, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby johnpz » 08 Aug 2011, 17:58

serious foreign teachers probably shouldn't come to PZ

i would suggest this school as a second year job after teaching in a more stressful environment like a korean or japanese academy. this job will make it seem like you're on a year-long vacation.

be sure to check the surrounding areas and make sure you can live this kind of life first.

in my time at pz, there are a lot of people that drink, but i have never gotten in a fight or argument with them. people drink and a few do drugs. it's the same pretty much everywhere. the foreign teachers at pz are, for the most part, pretty friendly and welcoming.
johnpz
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 09 Aug 2011, 01:46

"Top 10 search ranking for what?"

I was referring to this search formula: "Pei Zheng College" If you use this search formula, you will also get my site: "Max Long""Pei Zheng College" The search formula "Peizheng College" brings a much different result.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 09 Aug 2011, 03:17

johnpz wrote:in response to the listing of people at pz that were a negative influence,

those people are gone. the people there now are not nearly as bad as those, in my opinion. it seems like you have more of a grudge against the people working with you than anything else. there are so many people that you have just portrayed so negatively. maybe it's not them that's the problem?

just a consideration

Your train of logic is rather specious at best, spurious at worst.

It is irrelevant whether or not these miscreants are gone or not.

IT SPEAKS TO THE CULTURE OF THE COLLEGE.

This is the history of the college, accrued over a period of many years. Where there is smoke, so to speak, there is fire.

These are but just a few examples, culled from at least 100 others, garnered over a period of many years. Each new academic year and each fresh new intake of FT's brings its disproportionate share of cretins, greater in number than in other schools throughout China, owing to the imperious intake requirements of the College and its malodorous reputation.

JohnPL writes also that these cretins are all gone at present. Read carefully -- they are not ALLgone. Karl's boy toy is still around, for a fact, and one another teacher mentioned herein is still around. Thus, JohnPL is inaccurate in his judgment.

It is true that attempting to get anything done requiring the intervention of the FAO is a futile attempt. The FAO at Peizheng simply exists by inertia and follows the traditional Chinese saying : "to do nothing is to do everything".

There were a goodly amount of miscreants in this year's FT intake as well. They will be the subject of another anecdotal history here at some point in time.

And ThirdView / MESL writes on another forum that he is a teaching alumnus of ShengDa College. For the uninitiated and unknowing, that is hardly a recommendation. On the contrary, it is a rather damning statement for those in the know.

ShengDa provides limited hot water to the foreign teachers; they live in cubbyholes of one-room apartments; if they miss the hot water assignment period for the day, too bad. There are no cooking facilities in the one-room cubbyholes, etc., etc. The heat in the apartments in winter is often barely functional; currently, the school is limited to six-months visas at a time by the local PSB, etc., etc. It is another school a la Peizheng that will take any foreign teacher with a heartbeat, regardless of national origin, ability, background, etc., etc.

More than that, however, it is the only major College in all of China to have been beset by

MAJOR, MAJOR STUDENT RIOTS.

Several years ago, the students rioted for three days and torched most of the campus. Apparently, it took the military police 48-hours to wrest control of the campus back. Now I ask you -- who would want to even consider a place like that? And finally, the wages paid to the FT's are at the bottom of the barrel. There used to be videos on youtube about the riots so that all could see the full extent of the wanton destruction by these spoiled-little-rich-kids. It is a pay-as-you-go school like PeiZheng. You pay, you get the diploma and you go. Nothing serious about it at all. Nothing nutritive provided. Just a placebo of a school, like Peizheng.

And yet this MESL / Thirdview throws dirt at Peizheng and somehow says nothing about this place. I would encourage him to be generous in his dirt-throwing and to leave no pile of horse manure unturned.

Another example of the lunacy that abides at Peizheng.

Avoid it, avoid it, avoid it, avoid it, and avoid it.

If you don't, you will probably experience the worst year of your life in China.

Maybe of your entire life.
Last edited by TheTruth on 09 Aug 2011, 03:32, edited 3 times in total.
TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 09 Aug 2011, 03:24

johnpz wrote:ps. didn't use proper capitalization, please don't make it a bigger deal than the info given.

Your admonition above notwithstanding, your post really committed a rape of the Queen's English -- punctuation, grammar, etc., etc,. ad infinitum. It speaks to the issue of the quality of foreign teachers employed by Peizheng College.
TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 09 Aug 2011, 03:49

johnpz wrote:serious foreign teachers probably shouldn't come to PZ

i would suggest this school as a second year job after teaching in a more stressful environment like a korean or japanese academy. this job will make it seem like you're on a year-long vacation.

be sure to check the surrounding areas and make sure you can live this kind of life first.

in my time at pz, there are a lot of people that drink, but i have never gotten in a fight or argument with them. people drink and a few do drugs. it's the same pretty much everywhere. the foreign teachers at pz are, for the most part, pretty friendly and welcoming.

For John PL, from Confucious:

..................... 空穴來風未必無因....................

I hope that you can understand the meaning of this saying.
TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 09 Aug 2011, 03:54

truthiness wrote:TheTruth's comments:

I wonder if this is the reason Karl Wang doesn't like foreigners. I suppose it's also a reason he thinks he can get away with stealing their money.

Avoid Peizheng College! Maybe the foreign teachers are an even bigger reason to avoid this place.

Purely anecdotal comments by TheTruth, but well-said, anyway.

For Truthiness, a proverb from Henan :

........................顆老鼠屎壞了一鍋粥.....................

TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 09 Aug 2011, 04:02

For ThirdView, this :

..........................................破釜沉舟..................................

TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 09 Aug 2011, 05:24

For TheTruth:

If you have never done anything evil, you should not be worrying about colleagues sticking cockroaches on your door.

Of all the strategems, to know when to quit is the best.

Paper can't wrap up a fire.

----------

You are not an agent of the truth. You wouldn't know what to do with if it landed in your lap.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby johnpz » 09 Aug 2011, 05:29

To prospective teachers:

the people that should have warning labels on them at pz are the pretentious teachers that sit alone in their apartments, brooding over minuscule details of the other ones. thetruth may have his morals, but certainly isn't one of the teachers that you would befriend or want to befriend if you end up teaching at PZ. There are a lot of social, friendly foreign teachers to be found.
johnpz
Gold Member

Unread postby johnpz » 09 Aug 2011, 05:31

thetruth:

you're just getting into semantics now. the two people that are still at pz are: the boy toy and the senior citizen characters. none of which are bad influences.
i'm not even sure why you described them.

for the boytoy: being liked by karl isn't his fault. this doesn't make him a negative addition to PZ

for the senior citizen: i'm just confused why you put him in the list. has he ever been anything but nice to anyone?

it seems like this forum has been taken over by you arguing against everyone else. what happened?
johnpz
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia