Teaching in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

marghe

Teaching in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan

Unread post by marghe »

hi all,
my question is: if you are a non-native English teacher, with no degree it's impossible to find work in these three countries??? not a chance???
Shivangi

Re: Teaching in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan

Unread post by Shivangi »

Looks tough Marghe!

Non-native is bad enough and without a degree is like trying to climb Mt. Everest without mountaineering gear. Sorry had to deliver the bad news because I have been trying for the longest time- teacher without degree and non-native, found these tags to be enough to put off most employers.

Still hanging on to hope and applying everywhere to see if someone finds appreciation for my skills rather than labels attached. So don't give up even if it is a fool's chase there could be that one person out there who would consider you for your linguistic skill.

Best of luck!
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

marghe wrote:hi all,
my question is: if you are a non-native English teacher, with no degree it's impossible to find work in these three countries??? not a chance???
Hi Marghe,
Nobody can get a legal job in a school in Thailand without a degree. A non-native's degree must usually be either in an English or Education subject.
Thailand recognises two different categories of non-natives:
1. From Asia.(Generally Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines)
2. From Europe. (Generally The Netherlands, Germany, etc.)
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
Ajarn.Chan

Unread post by Ajarn.Chan »

I disagree with the 'official' response in these Forums. While I understand that it is 'correct and proper' out in the real world it is simply not true. YET, maybe it will become as bad as it could in time, but as of Feb 2009 [provided one is prepared to go the extra mile] Teaching Jobs are still available for 'English Speakers' [native or otherwise], with or without Degrees. Visa's can be obtained, Work Permits are available. Teaching Licences are still being ignored completely for the moment where possible.

So it IS still possible to get work here in Thailand if you can speak understandable 'English'. There are plenty of non Native speakers, such as Scandinavians & Germans teaching English around the country. On the other hand many Agencies and Schools have stopped using Australians since ther accents are just too difficult to understand. Likewise many try to avoid Americans for the same reason, though the Americans think they speak English in truth they don't; it is British English that is most popular here; in both Spoken and Written forms.

SO anyway please do not be put off by the 'official' reactions you got. Feel free to chat if you need help to find work here. Good luck everyone ;}

PS - I am a Brit/Irish/French mongrel myself ! Living in Phuket at present.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Re: official / unofficial, as a long time recruiter for what is probably Thailand's largest group of independent mainstream schools, it would not be deontologic to recommend or condone bending the rules. Our large mainstream schools do not under any circumstances, employ people without a degree, moreover every degree is verified through its issuer for authenticity, and in the absence of significant previous teaching experience, a recognised, 120-hour face-to-face course TESOL certificate is almost always required. references must be provided, and are taken up during the probtionary period.

Do read this thread for exhaustive detail on this subject:
http://www.tefl.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 5336#p5336
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.