CELTA of TEFL in Thailand

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Chrissie UK

CELTA of TEFL in Thailand

Unread post by Chrissie UK »

Hi All,

I am going to Thailand to take a teaching course but do not know which one will be best in my circumstances.

I'm 24 and I have only studied upto A' Levels, so I do not have degree.

Would finding work be easier with a TEFL or with a CELTA certificate? Does it matter?

Ideally I would like to find work on an island, as I would like to continue diving in my spare time. I also prefer island life.

Are the islands less strict about the degree?

I totally understand the lack of degree will prevent me from obtaining a work permit. Is it a case of a monthly visa run or are there any other legal ways around this?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Chrissie UK on 15 Jul 2007, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Hubert
Rising Star

Unread post by Hubert »

Dear Chrissie,

It would definitely be easier to find work with a CELTA or TESOL certificate.

Good luck and regards,
Hubert.
Chrissie UK

Unread post by Chrissie UK »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going for the CELTA, its a little more expensive than the TEFL certificate, but from what I have read, it will probably serve me better in the long run.

Thanks

Chrissie ;)
Hubert
Rising Star

Unread post by Hubert »

Your welcome, Chrissie,
Hubert.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA of TEFL in Thailand

Unread post by systematic »

Chrissie UK wrote:Hi All,
Are the islands less strict about the degree?

I totally understand the lack of degree will prevent me from obtaining a work permit. Is it a case of a monthly visa run or are there any other legal ways around this?
It is not possible to work in mainstream schools without a Work Permit. For a Work Permit a degree is mandatory. There are no workarounds. If you are still following this forum, maybe you would like to post and tell us how you got on :)
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.