Teaching in Vietnam

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

redfuzz

Teaching in Vietnam

Unread post by redfuzz »

I've decided that I want to teach English in Vietnam and was wondering if anyone had any horror stories or words of warning regarding the country or the company they worked for. In a few weeks my recruiter will start contacting me about opportunities and I want to make sure I make a wise decision. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
shlee
Rising Star

have fun...

Unread post by shlee »

I had some friends and colleagues who lived and taught in Vietnam. They said it can be challenging, but fun at the same time. The country is densely populated in certain areas, and the transportation can be somewhat difficult at times, but they said it was relatively easy to find things to do there...Of course it is an Asian country so you will have to take time to adjust culturally and in other ways. I tell my friends who come to Korea to remember one thing..This isn't Kansas Dorothy (forgive the wizard of Oz reference)... 8)
Micro67

5 Years in Vietnam

Unread post by Micro67 »

Vietnam is a good choice for some. There are opportunities in Hanoi and HCMC, of course, but other markets are getting big enough to have a mini ESL community - Can Tho, Vung Tau, Da Nang and others come to mind. With just a bit of research you should be able to find a place that suit you.
glenji

HCMC

Unread post by glenji »

Vietnam rocks. I've been here a bit over two years. Left to go to Taiwan a while back but couldn't get back fast enough. Like Schlee says there is a bit of culture shock to get over but other than that its cool. I'd recommend HCMC, great restaurants, stuff to do, just generally a good quality of life. If youre interested I can send you a list of schools worth applying to.
mainesail

Re: Teaching in Vietnam

Unread post by mainesail »

Hi All,

I've been looking over the blogs and assorted sites to get a handle on whether to follow TESL or not and if so how.

I'm a bit different than most of you folks- planning a career change at 57. I'm a US guy, have a BS in Special Education- never really used- been mostly in business as a builder. My focus comes down to Asia-Vietnam, Taiwan, Korea or Japan. Kinda leaving Japan out due to expense levels. Frankly, I lost most of my financial wherewithal through a business failure-so here I am re-building.

My thinking is that I'd take the CELTA, perhaps in Vietnam and build a career there. I really have no interest in scrabbling through the crappy organizations. I will act professionally and expect the same, am I out of touch that such is possible?

The ILA deal seems very attractive. I've been thinking that if they treated me fairly, I'd work for them and get my DELTA with them, as soon as appropriate. Glenji-from a comment I saw elsewhere, I get a feeling that you are with ILA.
Any comments from anybody.
Not sure how private communication works-I'm at mainesailatexcitedotcom. Thanks
Comenius

Unread post by Comenius »

I've heard good things about ILA in Vietnam. I almost went to work for them myself once a few years ago, although ended up staying in the US and not relocating at the time.
shureih99

Unread post by shureih99 »

Hi everybody. Glenji, do you know if there are non-native teachers working with ILA now? Thanks.