Which TEFL certificate is best for Spain?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Tim Dyke

Which TEFL certificate is best for Spain?

Unread post by Tim Dyke »

Hello Auntie,

I intend to move to Spain and teach English as a foreign language. I'm currently scanning the web to find out which certificate is best to acquire, but have been unable to find any unbiased advice, as they all say their course is the best (as you would). :evil:

Can you please tell me which course is better received in Spain. The ones i've seen are CELTA, TESOL plus various independant courses.

Any advice gratefully received!

Kind Regards

Tim
Lucy
Top Contributor

Help! Which TEFL certificate?

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello Tim,

The most important thing to consider when choosing a TEFL course is whether or not it is externally validated. Check whether they are validated by a body such as Trinity, SIT or UCLES. If this is the case, then a certificate course is a certificate course wherever you do it. They should all be recognised in Spain, especially if you get a good grade.

If you're looking for work in Spain, it might be preferable for you to do your course there. Training centres often have contacts with local schools and can provide valuable assistance in finding work. Check this out before you register. When you're on the course, you'll also build up a social network of teachers who will be able to inform you about which schools are recruiting and their reputations, etc. This again could influence your choice.

See also my answer to Arun and check out the FAQ's at the following link:

http://www.tefl.net/teacher-training/faq.htm