How do I use songs innovatively?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English. Classroom problems, lesson planning, career advice, staff...

Moderator: Susan

How do I use songs innovatively?

Unread postby pinkmatty » 15 May 2006, 19:32

I am currently doing Celta and will be teaching using the song Angels by Robbie Williams. I have been advised not to do gap fill, can you give me any other ideas I could use to teach. My group are intermediate students.
pinkmatty
Registered Member

Teaching through music

Unread postby Lucy » 16 May 2006, 20:47

Dear Pink Matty,

It’s great that you’ve decided to do a song and I suppose you’ve been advised not to do a gap fill to introduce some variety. I don’t know the song Angels by Robbie Williams, so I can’t give you details. However, here are some guidelines:

1 You can pick some “scenes” from the song; for example, somebody thinking or dreaming about another person, somebody leaving their partner, two people doing things together. When you have made your choice, draw some simple pictures to depict the scenes and photocopy the pictures. In class pre-teach the necessary vocabulary, put the students in groups and give each group a set of pictures. Students listen to the song and put the pictures in the correct order.

2 Write out three summaries of the song. For example: two people meet, they fall in love, one decides to leave. The summaries should be about 2 or 3 lines long; one should be a correct summary of the song and the other two should be incorrect. Students listen to the song and decide which summary is correct. This activity checks general understanding.

3 Give students the lyrics of the song where some of the words are wrong. Students listen to find the words which are wrong; they write down the correct words. This activity is similar to a gap fill in that it checks understanding of specific words. You might like to check with your tutors if this is acceptable before going ahead with your lesson plan.

You can do any of the above exercises and maybe two or all of them. I hope you and your students enjoy the activities.

Best wishes,

Lucy
Lucy

Return to TEFL Help Desk