Teaching English in Europe

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

calliope_me

Teaching English in Europe

Unread post by calliope_me »

Hello, Lucy,

Can you help me with the question that's been bothering me for a while. I am an English teacher (Master's degree in English language and literature) from Ukraine. I have been teaching for 6 years as well as working as an interpreter. I would like to take a TOEFL teching course and try to find a job in Europe. Do you think it is possible? I am really interested in working abroad. Thanks

Lena
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching English in Europe

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Lena,

I think you are asking about a Certificate or Diploma in TEFL. These qualifications prepare you for teaching English. TOEFL tests the language level of non-native speakers.

You could certainly apply for a Certificate in TEFL and you would most probably be accepted. You would have to pass a test of English and answer some basic questions about teaching: I am sure you could pass both of these. The question is what you would do after the course. I'm going to be realistic here and say that whenever you apply for a job, you will be in competition with native English speakers who may have the same (or better) qualifications than you. Many schools market themselves on the number of native English speaker teachers they employ. I do not believe that being a native speaker immediately makes the person a better teacher. But it's a hard fact, students will pay for that. You could probably get a job with your masters and other qualifications but it may not be the best paid job and with the best working conditions.

You could look at some job ads and contact schools in the city where you are interested in working. That would help you get some further information on the possibilities.

Good luck,

Lucy