Sudden attack of "I can't do it!"

Help, tips and advice in teaching English. Classroom problems, lesson planning, career advice, staff...

Moderator: Susan

Sudden attack of "I can't do it!"

Unread postby georgegilbert » 05 Aug 2005, 16:14

I'm a beginner in the world of teaching English, although I did a year long module in English Language Teaching Methodology as part of my English degree.

I don't have a CELTA certificate, which is obviously debilitating me in my hunt for work abroad, but I have been offered a job by a fairly small organisation in Thailand. (Surat Thani).

I'm basically posting because I'm having a sudden attack of "I can't do it!"

I feel like I'm missing out on something huge by not having done the CELTA course... Would you suggest I definitely get it under my belt before looking for work? Are there many reputable institutions who will take me on just my TEFL certificate and English degree, or should I distrust anybody who is prepared to employ me without one?

Also, is it worth taking the Thai job just because it's an opportunity to get experience? There are only 5 days holiday which sounds like a really small amount! I'm just not sure I have a good feeling about it all....

Your input would be appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

Georgina
georgegilbert
Registered Member

I can't do it!

Unread postby Lucy » 12 Aug 2005, 21:26

Dear Georgina,

I think your feeling of ’I can’t do it’ is exactly what you say it is. It’s a sudden attack. Of course you can teach. You’ve done a year’s course in teaching methodology. You’ll probably realise this yourself, if you think carefully about it. You could try writing down your successes on that course and remind yourself of these regularly.

You ask if you should get the certificate. This really depends on what you want to do in the long term. If you see teaching EFL as a way to experience other countries and cultures for a year or two, it’s probably not necessary. If you want to make a career out of EFL, you should consider doing the certificate. However, you don’t need to do this immediately. You could get some teaching experience before doing the course.

I think the certificate is useful but I don’t agree that an absence of CELTA will prevent you getting a job. It means you won’t be considered for some posts and will be considered for others.

For example, state schools often don’t recognise the CELTA. Some countries (and I think this includes Thailand) have legislation that all teachers must have a degree, which you do have. Some schools, especially large chains of schools, have their own teaching methodology. They often hire teachers without the certificate and train them to use the in-house methods.

The fact that a school considers you without CELTA is not a reason to distrust them. Having said that, if you have this feeling, there may be other reasons to distrust them and you should definitely look into those areas. The five days holiday a year is definitely a disadvantage in this job.

I wish you luck.

Lucy

The information provided in this forum is intended for guidance only. We can only provide general information as situations vary from country to country. It should also be noted that economic and political situations change. We advise you to contact embassies and consulates before making decisions involving a move to another country. Tefl.net cannot be held responsible for any decisions you make based on the information provided here. It is your responsibility to gather information about employers before accepting a job.
Lucy

Return to TEFL Help Desk