Just Starting Off

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

lagemela

Just Starting Off

Unread post by lagemela »

Hello Lucy,

Thanks for being available, and providing so much insight on this new field! I've already read some of the posts which have been quite informative.
I'm just writing to get some answers more specific to my needs.
I have ministry and public speaking training, I have experience in teaching the Bible for some years now. I am fascinated with language, and am currently learning Spanish. It is my goal to move out of the country to expand my preaching work, but see a great opportunity in teaching english while abroad. I'm looking into South America - Peru, Columbia, or Ecuador. I would prefer teaching children and teenagers, but I'm pretty flexible.. Which age group do you find offers more work? or does it depend on the area? I don't have any other degrees, just figured this would be a great starting point. I've been doing online research for a while, and I think I'm deciding on the courses offered by Bride TEFL. I think Cambridge CELTA sounds most beneficial. What do you think of Part time or online courses? I have found that the most well known, externally accredited credited training courses are CELTA and TRINITY. It seems that these courses are only available abroad, is there anyway to obtain these certifications in the USA?

I look forward to your responses. Thank you.
Teneka
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Just Starting Off

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Teneka

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your work as an EFL teacher and it sounds as if you have the right sort of background to make it work.

You’re right to say that the most well known courses are Trinity and CELTA. CELTA can be done on a part-time basis or through an intensive one-month course. Personal preferences for studying will affect your decision to study part-time or intensively. As for online courses, you can learn something, and this is always beneficial but you won’t get the same qualification at the end. This, of course, will affect your chances of finding work. Many new teachers get jobs with no qualifications or with online qualifications. Obviously, you will have more doors open to you with a recognized certificate.

I have never heard of Bride TEFL and so cannot comment on them. As for what is offered in the US, I suggest you google that. I’m not fully familiar with all course providers and wouldn’t want to name something without knowing their reputation.

I can’t really answer your question about which age group offers more chances of employment; as you rightly say, it depends on countries and regions. The best way to go about that is to look at job ads in the place where you would like to work and see how many and what sort of offers are out there.

I suggest you also put your question into one of our open forums, some of our members will have experience of training courses in the US.

Lucy