Structure suggestions for 60hr (non-false) beginners course

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Chocmonster

Structure suggestions for 60hr (non-false) beginners course

Unread post by Chocmonster »

*** Hi Lucy! Sorry for the cross-posting, but I am eager (desperate) for an answer to this one - would be most greatful if you could oblige, and sorry that the question has probably already been asked! ***

Dear all,

My darling HOS has given me another course, and this time it's beginners.

60 hours, 8-10 students, middle aged+, no, or effectively no previous knowledge.

Undoubtedly this question has been asked before… but here it is again:

'What's in a decent course for total beginners?'

The course:

2 hours one evening a week
German native speakers
Possibly some English learnt at school (30+ years ago)
No materials provided
OHP projector, CD player and whiteboard in room only (possible TV and DVD)
Neither students nor school have course books
Small East German town - minimal or no exposure to English in the student's every day life

About me:

I prefer not to work exclusively from a book
I am prepared to dip into one if it suits the matter at hand
Last time I taught beginners I intimated them and 50% fled after the first lesson

What I'm looking for:

A chronological checklist of things to teach
Pitfalls and things to watch out for when teaching them
Ideas for good games/course books/real life materials
List of things to avoid!

If anyone can help me, either on this thread, or per PM/mail, please do so.

Apologies in advance for not checking the forums for similar posts, time does not allow it.

Best regards and happy new year to you all

Edd
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Structure suggestions for 60hr (non-false) beginners course

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Edd,

I think that the easiest thing for the teacher is to follow a course book. You say you don't like sticking too closely to a course book and I understand this. You can use a coursebook as a framework or something you dip into.

You will save a lot of time, the work will be structured, there will be a natural progression through the items studied. Also, good course books are piloted extensively; so you can be sure that the material is good.

My favourite for absolute beginners is English File. The activities are short and punchy; and all areas of language and skills are covered from lesson one. There is also a very good teachers' book and extra activities book that contains games etc. Why re-invent the wheel when good material exists? You'll be being kind to yourself.

I suggest you take a look at it. If for any reason you absolutely do not want to use a book, please write in again and I'll give you ideas.

Lucy