Can you help me with minimal pairs?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English. Classroom problems, lesson planning, career advice, staff...

Moderator: Susan

Can you help me with minimal pairs?

Unread postby aato76 » 28 Aug 2009, 08:42

Could you kindly give me an example of the minimal pair that I could use to teach the final location for /r/ and /h/ pls?
Could you also double check if I have made the right choices of minimal pairs for the followings
/i/ and /I/ Final location: Tea and Tee
/r/ and /l/ Final location: boar and ball
MANY THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss
aato76
Registered Member

Re: Can you help me with minimal pairs?

Unread postby Lucy » 30 Aug 2009, 11:01

What an interesting and difficult question!

/i/ and /I/ Final location: Tea and Tee
This pair does not correctly distinguish the 2 different sounds because tea and tee have exactly the same pronunciation.

/r/ and /l/ Final location: boar and ball
Ball for the final /l/ is correct. It’s difficult to find a word in the English language where the final “r” is pronounced. I’ve been thinking about this for a while and have not come up with anything; the final “r” is usually silent. In your example of boar, the final sound is the vowel. I wonder if with a Scottish accent, the final “r” is sometimes pronounced. Do we have any Scottish members out there who could enlighten us?

I’m afraid, I haven’t come up with a minimal pair to illustrate the final /r/ and /h/ because of the explanation above. Final “r” and “h” are usually not pronounced; or the “h” is pronounced along with other letters, e.g. “tch”. As these sounds are not normally pronounced at the end of a word, I wonder why you are teaching it. Pure curiosity, there’s maybe something I haven’t thought of!

Lucy
Lucy

Unread postby Lucy » 30 Aug 2009, 14:01

I've just re-read this and thought of an instance where we might pronounce the "r" at the end of "boar".

When you say: boar and ball, the words all run into each other and the letter "r" can be heard between "boar" and "and"; as in boarand ball. Your initial suggestion could be correct but it wouldn't be final position.

Lucy
Lucy

Unread postby kevsunblush » 10 Apr 2014, 14:56

In British English, the final /r/ disappears. But in American English, it is almost AWLAYS pronounced. I say almost because it disappears in some regional accents (like in New York). Final /h/ is still silent in American English, however, so minimal pairs may be hard to come by.
kevsunblush
Registered Member

Return to TEFL Help Desk