CELTA Interview What To Expect & How To Prepare?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

thebritishasian

CELTA Interview What To Expect & How To Prepare?

Unread post by thebritishasian »

Hi Lucy,

I recently applied to do a CELTA course and completed the pre-interview tasks as you may remember. Thankfully my application form was successful and I've now been invited for an interview in early January 2009. I'm really excited at the prospect of being one step closer however I'm also a little nervous and curious as to what to expect from the interview.

So I'm wondering if you could give me some more helpful information. What sort of question can I expect in the interview and how can I fully prepare myself?

Please do give me your thoughts and views as to how i can be well prepared in advance in order to have a successful interview.

Many thanks in advance,

Steven :)
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA Interview What To Expect & How To Prepare?

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello Steven,

I guess they'll ask you about your reasons for wanting to become a teacher. They might ask if you have any teaching experience. Be ready to talk about it, if you have any experience. If you don't have any, that's not a problem. They might ask you about your own experiences learning languages or about teachers who have inspired you. They might ask you some questions about language.

I suggest you prepare your answers to the questions above and maybe to general interview questions about your strengths and weaknesses, your past jobs. Rehearse how you will answer them. If you have an obliging friend, ask him/her to give you a dummy interview and to comment on your performance.

My CELTA interview was so long ago (1989 - almost 20 years) that I can't remember much more. I see you've also put the question in another forum, so I'm sure you'll get more answers.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on in your interview. Keep in touch.

Lucy