Could you help me with a lesson plan?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

charlottegreen

Could you help me with a lesson plan?

Unread post by charlottegreen »

hello Lucy,

I am nearing the end of my TEFL course and I was asked to submit a lesson plan either- a plan for the simple past, or for giving / asking for directions. I choose the verb 'have'. My tutor recently sent my back my lesson plan and asked me to resubmit it, he hasn't given me any guidance notes on what I have done wrong and therefore I am confused with why it needs resubmitting and what I have done wrong.

I would be hugely appreciative if you wouldn't mind having a look at it for me.

with many thanks,

Charlotte.

LESSON PLAN:

TASK 2: LESSON PLAN
Preparation Level: pre- intermediate

Lesson Length: 1 hour

Objective: to be able to use the verb 'have' in its forms of 'had' 'having' 'has' and 'have' to construct questions and compostions. Additionally at the end of the lesson they should be able to make use of 'have to'.

Target Language: subject+verb+ object ie- sarah is having her dinner now question form: can+ subject+verbie- please can I have a look at your book?

Assumed Knowledge: Students should be able to formulate questions and be able to formulate negative sentences.In addition, they should also be able to understand the past forms and be able to interrogate verb forms.

Anticipated Problems: the verb'Have' can be a very confusing one, not only does it take several forms but can mean several things too.. for example, you can use 'have' in its 'had' form to talk about what you used to have as a child and past expriences, you can also use to the verb in the 'have' form to discuss the present. Thou the verb is very diverse and this will make for an intresting lesson, enabling the teacher to cover a wide scope of subjects, thou this in itself could cause problems with the students getting confused over what exactly the verb means. The verb meanings will have to be approached carefully and clearly to aid a proper understanding and the teacher should be prepared to go over verb forms if it becomes unclear of how to use them. Confusion could also come in the form of 'haven't'.

possible pronunication problems: of 'have' 'has' 'having' and 'haven't' Solutions: concept questions will be necessary to check through out the lesson that students have understood how to use the verb.

visual solutions could be pictures and flash cards and a timeline to help visually show how the verb form is used in the past and present and of course drilling of the verb. In saying this my most important solution would be constantly checking throu means of questions and group work that the students have understood as if there is any confusion you can go over the errors and explain the verb perhaps more clearly or more visually to students.

Preparation and Aids: Pictures/ flash cards, relia you could set the scene by presenting a characther like the teacher in the video with the characther of 'peter'. hand outs black board

CHARLOTTE, PLEASE REVIEW THE TASK DIRECTIONS AS THIS IS NOT AN OPTION FOR THE LESSON PLAN - YOU NEED TO CHOOSE OF THE OPTIONS SUCH AS SIMPLE PAST, GIVING/ASKING FOR DIRECTION, ETC.

Lesson Plan

Stage 1. WARMER:
hangman, questions and answers about last weekend, last night, twenty questions, naughts and crosses to revise vocabulary before introducing new vocabularly to the class,word associations. with these games, you always want to be checking the understanding of the previous vocab learnt and that they have completely grasped what was learnt in the previous lesson as if there is any errors/ mis understandings, now is the time to address them before presenting new vocab. Before moving on to stage two of the lesson plan, also quickly run through last lesson and do a quick recap of vocab previously learnt. Additionally run through homework giving feedback.. t-s. 5 mins

Stage 2. INTRODUCTION: the use of relia Produce a pretend party invitation and present a story about a characther ( this could be a famous actress, member of royality, famous television star etc... someone you think your class would be able to relate to)who is having a party and only a select few are going to be invited. Describe how this party is going to be incrediable and a party everyone will be trying to get an invitation to. You could hand clippings out to your students of Elton John's parties or other key individuals who hold wonderful parties to help arrouse further interest.. s-t. 3 mins

Stage 3. in pairs get the students to make a list of the items you think this individual should have at the party, i.e- ballows.. p-ws-t. 1 min

Stage 4. go round the pairs and ask them to say two items of their list and write them on the board so everyone can see the suggestions.. s-t. 2 mins

Stage 5. Ask a few students from the class if they would like to receive an invitation to the party and why. The teacher could start the conversation of by saying how she/ he would love to go and why.. s-t. 3 mins

Stage 6. get the students in groups to make up their own fictious party invitation, you could hand out blank party invitations to remind them what they need to put on their own. ( thus introducting the 'having' form of the verb).. g-w. 5 mins

Stage 7. get the groups to read out their invitations to the rest of the class.. s-t. 5 mins

Stage 8. review understanding by referring back to the list of the items the students thought should be at the party of the pop star, famous person and go round the room asking students if they would have these items at their party. for example...'francoise, would you have ballows at your party'.... why? or 'francoise, from the list on the board, what would you have at your party? by doing this you are not only engaging the students, getting them to practise their speaking skills but also engaging them in the subject matter and getting them to use the verb.. t-ss-t. 2 mins

Stage 9. PRESENTATION: present the verb and its forms / target language on a time line, you could pin relia/ pictures up / even the invitations,to remind the students of the past present meanings. Finally elicit sentences from the students to check understanding. present 'having', 'have' and 'had' on the timeline. If it aids further, you could write next to the verb forms... 'having' and 'have' suitable sentences to jog memory. I.e... next to 'having'... the invitation and the sentence...eg- Elton John is having a party' and next to have.. 'he will have ballows and cake at his party'. Keep the language quite simple and write the verb form in a different colour or underline to further aid clarity.. t-s. 5 mins

Stage 10. Drill chorally and individually the sentences on the timeline and you could also pull out/ elicit new ones from the party list.. tt-s. 2 mins

Stage 11. PLENARY: present negative and question forms using the verb and the party idea.. t-s. 2 mins

Stage 12. Once understanding has been esabilished of the 'having' and 'have' forms, present the 'had' part of the verb and this time I would present it in a form of a characther who has had a party. This charachter could be say 'fred' and you could show pictures of 'fred' looking sad and say sentences like 'fred' had a party'.. you could show pictures of an half eaten cake, empty wine bottles and fred with a sore head because he had abit too much to drink, you could also show pictures of blown out candles... you could even present the story more visually and say you ( the teacher) had a party a few days ago... you could bring in some blown out candles and an empty cake box and blown out ballowns. It doesn't really matter how you present it either as you or fred, you are just really wanting to present 'had' in a visual manner. Point to 'had' on the timeline when you present this new story and write next to 'had' on the timeline... 'fred/ I had a party' ... 'we had cake' or ' Fred/ I had a sore head from drinking too much wine'.. t-s. 5 mins

Stage 13. Go round the class and point at the sentences on the timeline, get the students to repeat them both individually and chorally, checking that they have understood the 'having' 'have' and 'had' parts. Write substitution table on the board.. tt-s. 2 mins

Stage 14. CONTROLLED PRACTICE: students work in pairs on a hand-out, this could be something like a true and false or an activity where they have to choose from a missing form ... ie from 'having' had' and 'have' and fill in the blanks.. p-w. 4 mins

Stage 15. PLENARY: Go over the questions and let students call on another for the answer to the next question. Correct if necessary.. t-ss-s. 2 mins

Stage 16. PRODUCTION: Put students in new pairs and get them to ask and answer questions on what they had for dinner last night, what they are having tonight and what they would really like to have.. what would be their idea dinner/ wish dinner.. p-wt-s. 5 mins

Stage 17. Set Homemork task: this could be brief composition on the best party they have been to, describing what they eat, drunk and wore and what was at the party, or it could be an thank-you letter to a friend for invitating them to their party, saying how they had a wonderful time or a diary entry about a party they went to.. t-s. 1 min
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: could you help me with a lesson plan .. i am struggling!

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Charlotte,

I think the reason you have been asked to resubmit is that you didn’t follow the instructions. It seems that your tutor makes this comment (in your post in capital letters). It seems to me that you were asked to write a lesson plan on directions or the simple past. I think you have gone off track by choosing the verb ‘have’.

Please check with your tutor if this is the case.

Lucy