How can I find a job in the UK without a certificate?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

margyf
Rising Star

How can I find a job in the UK without a certificate?

Unread post by margyf »

Hi

I have just done a tefl course through i-to-i and am only looking to work in the UK.

I have been fortunate to have done some work with this qualification but am finding that a lot of the employers are looking for us to have Trinity or CELTA.

I was wondering the best sites to look at that arent too fussed about the above but instead see its a valid qualificaton and see ive had some teaching practice in.

I am considering doing the TRINITY but the next course I want to do is in October which is ok but I will miss out on all the summer jobs. All because I dont have the above!!!!

Any help would be appreciated
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: SITES TO FIND JOBS

Unread post by Lucy »

I'm not aware of any list or organisation that groups together schools who employ teachers without the certificate (Trinity or CELTA). Of course, these schools exist but they're not grouped together in a list such as the British Council produces. This means that you have to do a bit more searching to find them.

As I said in a previous post, I suggest you do an internet search for all the EFL schools in your area. Look at the website of each school and find out what their requirements are - either by looking at the site or by calling them. Then apply to those who accept teachers without the certificate. You could also look at schools that organise classes for groups of teenagers; they might have different requirements. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from applying to schools that have the certificate as a basic requirement; just bear in mind that you'll be in competition with people who do have the cert.

Of course, here I'm assuming that you don't have a certificate in TEFL; you haven't said whether you do or not. If you do, please forgive me and write in again.

As for the Trinity course that you wish to follow, I'm amazed that the next one will take place in October. Or does this just mean that the courses previous to October are already full? Have you contacted the school that offers the course you want to do? Try to find out if they can put you on a waiting list.

Best wishes,

Lucy
margyf
Rising Star

Re: How can I find a job in the UK without a certificate?

Unread post by margyf »

Thats great I have been doing all you are saying and its hard work and lots of competition but its got to be done.

My qualification is that of TEFL at 60hrs, plus an extra 20hrs grammar and 2 other certs of Teachinh one-to-one and young learners.

Fortunately ive been able to get some teaching practice in as I see how important that is to employers.

Its just not enough though I need all year long work in the international schools here.

I have rang my TRINITY provider and they have advised there is a course sooner but its the 4 week intensive heard a few stories so im more inclined to go for the 16 week one.

Ill keep looking and ploughing through the various sites.

Once I get my TRINITY though things will be easier

:roll:
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: How can I find a job in the UK without a certificate?

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Margyf,

Good luck. It sounds like you have the sort of attitude that makes people succeed! Perseverance and a positive attitude.

I’m not sure what you’ve heard about the 4 week intensive courses. A lot of people say they’re very intensive, tiring and stressful but the advantage is that you get your certificate sooner rather than later. Whichever cert course you choose, you’ll have an advantage over others on the course, you’ve already done some studying in EFL. Think about all your options before making a decision.

Lucy