A lesson plan based on Dickens

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Gustard33

Unread post by Gustard33 »

Hi all,
I am doing the teacher training course for Trinity in theUK. The students I have to teach are advanced level and have expressed an interest in Charles Dickens, so I have decided that my next lesson plan will centre around Charles Dickens. They have an exam coming up thatwill test them on reading, writing, speaking and listening. Now dont get me wrong, Im not looking for anyone to write my lesson plan for me (I already have some ideas) , but has anyone got any suggestion for fun activities that I could use that would allow the class to explore Charles Dickens and practise their four key skills ?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated !
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

I’m not aware of any existing material to practise the four skills on the topic of Dickens. I’m afraid you’ll have to prepare your own material and design the exercises.

I’m guessing that your lesson plan is for an observed lesson that will be evaluated. If this is correct, you could ask your tutors whether they know of any material that practises the points you mention. Preparing materials yourself can be very time-consuming and it’s best to avoid this when doing an observed lesson for a teaching qualification – just to go easy on yourself.

If you wish to go ahead with this and don’t find materials, I suggest you use a video of a Dickens book along with the book itself. The BBC have produced some very good adaptations. Choose a scene that is light and fun. You might also want to check whether the BBC have produced anything for learners of English to accompany your chosen programme. You could ask the students to read the scene with some comprehension questions and some work on difficult language. Students can then imagine they are TV producers and they decide in groups how they will interpret the scene; ideas include: who will play the parts? Where will it be filmed? What will be on the set?….. Students present their ideas to the class and then watch the video recording and compare it with their ideas. These tasks will practise listening, speaking and reading. You could follow this up by asking students to write a review of the BBC recording either in class or for homework, depending on how much time you have.

All the best,

Lucy