What to teach a student who's going to the USA?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

anglorthoglot

What to teach a student who's going to the USA?

Unread post by anglorthoglot »

Dear Lucy:
I am from Vietnam. I am going to teach a 26-year-old female student who will go to the US to settle under marriage sponsorship. Can you advise me what resource to look for to teach such a student? She has low background of education and almost no knowledge of American culture.
I am looking forward to your counsel . Sincerely!
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: What to teach a student who's going to the USA?

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Anglorthoglot,

This sounds like an interesting project.

I suggest you use a coursebook at her level that you're familiar with. I can suggest English File, Headway, Language in Use. However, these all practise British English. I'm not familiar with coursebooks that teach American English. The easiest will be to use a book you know well.

Your student will need a lot of practice in listening and speaking. For speaking you can use Communication Games (beginner) by Jill Hadfield; this book gives very controlled practice of the language, you will be able to move onto other activities when your student progresses and gets more confidence. She will also need to learn a lot of vocabulary; I suggest you use English Vocabulary in Use, published by Cambridge University Press.

After a few lessons and when she has a reasonable level of English, you can introduce her to elements of American culture and daily life. You will be able to find material for this on the internet.

I hope this will help you for the start of your course. Please feel free to write in again if you would like more information.

Lucy
anglorthoglot

Re: What to teach a student who's going to the USA?

Unread post by anglorthoglot »

Thank you so much for your advice. The first lesson has started, now I already found out the student's most suitable way of learning. I will sure look into the course books you suggest.
Sincerely!