Do you have any guidelines for teaching beginners?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English. Classroom problems, lesson planning, career advice, staff...

Moderator: Susan

Do you have any guidelines for teaching beginners?

Unread postby Dani » 13 Nov 2007, 18:24

Hi Lucy,

Are there any guidelines about which order to teach in? When I done my CELTA I taught intermediate and advanced students, but now I have absolute beginners to teach and I'm not sure exactly where to start!

Thanks,

Dani
Dani
Registered Member

Teaching Beginners

Unread postby Lucy » 14 Nov 2007, 20:05

Hi Dani,

Most course books take the same progression: numbers, alphabet, the verb "to be", nationalities, jobs (eg I'm a plumber), has / have got, vocabulary of possessions, present simple, vocabulary linked to daily routines, present continuous.....

If you are new to teaching beginners, I highly recommend you to use a course book and to supplement where necessary. Make sure you do a lot of revision with beginner students; try not to cover language points too quickly. Aim to recycle the language as much as possible and in a variety of ways.

It's important for beginners to get the basics under their belts; when teaching intermediate, you will notice a difference between students who really mastered the basics at beginner level.

Please feel free to write in again if you would like more ideas.

Lucy
Lucy

Return to TEFL Help Desk